Workshop Winter Footwear

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the time is fast approaching when the temperature in the workshop is going to get uncomfortable and last winter standing on that freezing concrete floor was less than fun. Don't know about you lot but it was always my feet that drove back to the house so this year I'm going to spend some cash on a really good pair of boots.

So what reccomendations can you make?

I've already got a pair of Cats - ok but very heavy and not that warm if you're stationary for a while. Timberlands, rubbish. Slip on workboots - ok ish but cold and not that much support. At work I wear Birkentstocks as the support is fantastic but they don't make a winter boot thing.

Over to y'all ...

I swear by Lowa Desert Elites. You can find them dirt cheap and ebay and they are cool in the summer and warm in the winter. They also have great grip. I've had mine for 2 years and worn them every day while working and for walking the dogs 10 miles a day and it's only now that they are even starting to look worn. They still look nearly new.

No steel toe cap unfortunately though.

hi doc martins cracking boots cushion sole so should give air gap from concrete :lol: :lol: =D>
pip

A combination of

Rubber mats on the floor. Heat holder thermal socks And snow boots work wonders for me but not much good for safety.

john

phil.p":h5hoz8ab said:
Rubber mats? I wasted a lot of money on D.M.s once, after being told how comfortable they were - I've never worn anything so uncomfortable!

Horses for courses, no one boot last will be comfortable for every person... I have a set of the old DM ten-eye steelies with supafeet insoles and love them; They're not especially warm though, unlined leather is never going to.be.

I wouldn't discount rigger boots; the cheap ones have a sloppy, wellington boot type fit, but good ones (my preference is Jalatte, but I saw some dewalt ones in arco the other day that looked good too) have a more form fitted design, trading ease of donning for greater comfort and support.

That said, I reckon that dense woolen[\i] socks are a better investment in warm feet than any boots could be, I use them under both my work boots and my winter mountaineering boots, to equally good effect.

What about two pairs of thin socks? Multiple layers on your torso are better than one thick layer.

monkeybiter":1iuoo2dl said:
What about two pairs of thin socks? Multiple layers on your torso are better than one thick layer.

In principle yes, in practice just pdoubling up on socks can cause them to pinch on each other and make things uncomfortable... its worth getting dedicated liner socks if you spend a lot of time on your feet.

I'm lucky [during cold weather] that I have warm feet but I also have carpet offcuts where I stand for a long time which may help. I have 'em because my knees start to hurt.

If you suffer from cold feet then you really need to get rid of that concrete floor. Is there no way you can get some polystyrene down between battens and board over ? Even if it were only a central walkway or something.... just so long as it isn't a trip danger.

Another vote here for something over the concrete floor rather than boots. My foor is concrete also, but covering the working areas with interlocking matting like THIS was far and away the best workshop investment I've ever made. I now have warm comfy feet regardless what footwear I'm wearing, even on the coldest of days. Shop around, prices can vary, and make sure you buy all you need the first time as sometimes different batches don't fit together too well.

hi mate i know how you feel. i do a bit sea fishing , in winter i use to use cushioned wellies suppose to keep your feet worm but they were rubbish so i bought a pair of boots from lidl i think they were £16 and they have steel have caps but very comfy , feet worm but could not feel my finger tips.

I've done a fair bit of caving: you can't beat wellies for grip, and they outlast any of the climbing footwear (that usually gets ripped to shreds in a very short time), BUT they usually end up full of water. It's almost unavoidable in a wet cave, and when they do your feet are instantly freezing, and you're miserable as a consequence.

The answer (for caving) is wet suit socks. They keep your feet toasty, even when not moving about much, and if they get wet they don't leak heat anything like as much as conventional socks, and they help prevent you getting blisters too. I use them even in dry caves now.

For the workshop, you might try cutting some kitchen foil to match the insoles and sticking it to the underneath of the insole, shiny side up. Some people say it works well. I'm not convinced but I always carry a space blanket sticky-taped into the top of my caving helmet, as plenty of people testify to those working, and it's pretty much the same idea.

Many, many years ago, I was issued heavy-weather outdoor clothing by the BBC. We all had the same stuff - dark navy blue jacket and over-trousers with a button-on hood, known as "Ventiles" (which was an old brand), although it was actually made by "Functional Clothing".

The point being, the jacket had a removable liner, which was made of shredded silvered plastic sheet (like space-blanket material, but slightly thicker). The liner was *always* way too hot to use, even in the depths of winter (three Boxing Days spent on Wincanton racecourse for my sins!). I've still got the kit, over 25 years after it was issued to me (and no they didn't want it back when I left), and that liner is still too hot in the winter!

I also find that several layers of good thin socks do work better than thick ones, and are more comfortable too.

I'm going to try floor matting this year as well, as I've just draught-proofed the up-and-over door, and so it's worth making the effort now.

Back