Workshop tour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi fellas... I recently had a new mezzanine floor added to the existing at my premises, as I just invested in a new Felder universal machine, that took up all the room downstairs. This meant i could have a purpose built workshop on the new floor upstairs for all the bench work and hand tool stuff and keep the big machines downstairs with the storage for timber etc.

I have been fitting out after work and weekends for a couple of months now and its just about up and running properly now. Plenty of fine tuning and stuff like decorating etc to do yet, but its basically there.

In the video walk around, you may notice the space on the wall next to the WIP plane cabinet. I am going to build another cabinet there for hand tools, when I get the plane cabinet finished, but this may have to wait as the wife is insisting on some picture frames and a desk for her...........

Hope the video quality is good enough, any questions, comments etc welcome.

Cheers, Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-euUYUW ... e=youtu.be

Sorry, I dont seem able to embed the video as I can on other forums.....

[video]www.youtube.com/v/c-euUYUW74s?[/video]

Wow very cool shop Mark. 8)
What kind of furniture are you making or going to make? That's some serious capital outlay. :shock:

Hi Alex, well, the workshop is kind of a mix of business and pleasure - I found myself stuck behind a desk for the last 4 or 5 years after 30 years of work on site as my business expanded and I had to take more of a managerial role, so decided I was going to learn furniture and cabinet making. I am a carpenter / shop fitter by trade and also along the way qualified as an electrician, gas fitter, and various other skills, I really like making stuff and after 15 years fitting kitchens, and the like knew that working with tools was my main pleasure. So I had to do something to keep it going now I don't get to do it for a living myself anymore.

So now, I am teaching myself to make furniture and learn the finer points of joinery and hand tool work. I have made several boxes, my bench, a stool to match a Gordon Russell dressing table, as well as stuff like picture frames, and small stuff around the house. The workshop also gets used by the business, so it's kind of lucky for me to be able to combine the two. I have also had a long time to build things up and am fortunate to be able to have the business to share the cost.

The problem for me is that I don't get that much time, a few hours after work maybe, or a an hour here and there stolen during the day when its not so busy.....so a simple project can often take months to complete.......

Cheers, Mark

dam thats a lot of green!!! in ur shop and on me! very jealous! it would be perfect if it could be all on the one floor but an amazing space!
hope u get to find enough time to enjoy them! i know for sure my workshop prob isn't going to pay for itself overtime but my drinking habit isn't either and i know which ones better for me:)
buying nice tools and making stuff is always fun!
think you have too much festool you should donate some :)
Regards rick

Nice video. You tool storage area is bigger than my whole shop. it's very nice and neat. Not what I'd expect. All seems very new.

Great workshop Mark. Clearly has taken a lot of time and effort to organise. It's pretty obvious you don't get much production time as it's too clean :lol:

Is it a corrugated steel building? Roof looks like it and if so, how is it insulated to stop condensation?

Bob

Great shop Mark and so clean and tidy .I have a first floor to my shop too but its very scruffy compared to your place.

Cheers Bern.

Nice workshop Mark :)

I would love to have a larger workshop like yours it would be so nice :)

Oh well its nice to dream - back to falling over stuff in the chaos I call my workshop ;)

Dave

Only just spotted this Mark. Very nice set up. I too was lucky enough to fund a nice shop from my business, which sadly went under in 2008 after 17 years. However I was left with all the kit and now have it crammed into a small workshop in the garden. If only we could buy workshop hours as well eh? How the time drags when I am at work and simply flies by when I'm in the workshop!

Thanks for all the compliments everyone, I realise I am pretty lucky, but I have worked damn hard for the last 30 years to get to this stage. The festool is from my site days, I have always believed firmly in investing money in quality tools, as it pays you back in time saved and a great result. Plus I just love the thought that goes into their stuff and the whole system idea. Qualty kit is just a pleasure to use, I cant stand struggling to do a job with the wrong or inadequate tool.

I am also a bit anal about keeping it all tidy, another throwback to site days, when being disorganized meant losing time and money!

How right you are about buying time!! Like you, I wish I had more to spend there, but at least I can slip in whenever I fancy and do something on my current project when the fancy takes me...!

Latest posts

Back