workshop stove

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartypit

Established Member
Reaction score
hello
I have acquired an old woodburner and i wish to install it in my shed/workshop. I have been quite shocked at the cost of flue components. I've been advised that where it passes through roof (felt,timber) it should be twin walled insulated, for fire safety. This twin walled stuff is very expensive, so got to thinking whether could be a cheaper system, ie, cutting a section of the roof out and replacing with some sort of fireproof board, so vitreous pipe can be used all the way through. The total height to roof is about 2m.
Has anyone got any ideas as to where I can get cheapo flues (6inch diameter), or any experiences which have not resulted in the burning down of their shed.....

in a word. no, you will hav to use twin wall and a fire plate to keep it for touching any timber and then a lead slate.

Can you go out of the wall instead? I did this in my first workshop and used a twin wall I made myself from two thick metal pipes of different sizes, welded to a plate, fire proof materials were used where this came out of the wall and the surrounding area. I also didn't have to cut a big hole in my roof, and make good.

watching and hoping for the answer I never got when looking at this.............. :cry:

more wood (for burning) than anyone needs but no simple solution

was also advised that coming out the side but not going up '4m' (or not going up 4m at all) could result in neighbors having a valid complaint?

seemed like a minefield so I gave up (and use a 3Kw Dragon - on low power!)

I installed one a couple of years ago and fairly sure (though could be wrong) the regs have changed now so that you must use insulated pipe for the section that goes through roof. The other thing to consider as jumps hints at is that it is recommended that you need 4 m run of flue to allow both decent draw and for something to do with smoke to cool suitably to prevent build up of deposits. Can,t remember the exact reason but would recommend going on to the Hotspot stoves website as they have all the necessary requirements explained there.

Hope this helps

Myself and a friend solved the problem in his garage

His garage is prefabbed concrete panels with a wooden apex roof.

We measured the diameter of the flu and then made a another second skin out of sheet metal about an inch and a half wider all the way round and welded it to a flat piece of sheet metal and then made a top hat for this to keep the rain out.

The log burner then pokes through the larger skin with an inch and a half clearance all round and the top hat keeps the rain out.

whacky":28tkgsyd said:
Myself and a friend solved the problem in his garage

His garage is prefabbed concrete panels with a wooden apex roof.

We measured the diameter of the flu and then made a another second skin out of sheet metal about an inch and a half wider all the way round and welded it to a flat piece of sheet metal and then made a top hat for this to keep the rain out.

The log burner then pokes through the larger skin with an inch and a half clearance all round and the top hat keeps the rain out.
proper twinwall is insulated.

yeah there is a minimum length which is about 4m i think

Latest posts

Back