Workshop space in Nottingham

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteDale

Reaction score
This is just a quick message to all fellow woodworkers. My name is Pete and I have recently been a student at David Savage's school of furniture making in Devon. Now I have returned home to Nottingham I began looking for a space to rent but couldn't find anything so therefore I have decided to open up my own workshop. I was just putting out the word to see if anyone would be interested in renting around this area. It is just on the outskirts of the city centre and will be kitted out with all the regular equipment ie; planer/thicknesser, table saw, bandsaw, disc sander, vacuum press etc but also, there will be access to CNC router which can be rented by the hour/job for an extra cost. This workshop is very much in it's infancy at the moment but as soon as it takes shape around Jan I will be posting some pictures to see whether some like minded furniture makers need a space to start out or continue their projects or businesses. Please don't hesitate to post if you are interested.

It's a shame Pete, I rent my workshop out and I'm in Nottingham. I don't have cnc though so that may interest me now and again.

EDIT: I no longer rent out space, sorry.

I've been looking at that course, how was it? Do you mind me asking what kind of experience you had before you did it? Very interesting.

Laura.

Leharrold":1ffyyuz1 said:
I've been looking at that course, how was it? Do you mind me asking what kind of experience you had before you did it? Very interesting.

Laura.

The course was excellent! Sorry it's taken this long to reply, I have been busy setting up shop.

The course is pretty intense but the bench time you get is great and the guys who work there are fantastic, they really know what they're doing! I took the one year designer maker course which is basically a two part course. The first half you learn about the basics of woodworking then progress through a series of projects until you are making your own bench with a dove tailed tail vice then move onto something little like a jewellery box. The second half of the year is then spent working through your own designs practicing all the techniques you have learnt and developing more to accomplish what you want to create.

A great overall experience but quite costly considering you need to live near by and pay rent for a year whilst not earning. They do have three caravans on the premises with shower facilities though that are rented out for very little considering you are allowed 24 hour access to your bench which is on your door step (literally!).

I had a blast there and the days whizz by. I was sorry to leave but happy to be starting my own workshop with confidence.

PeteDale":juv1ilmc said:
Leharrold":juv1ilmc said:

Laura.

The course was excellent! Sorry it's taken this long to reply, I have been busy setting up shop.

The course is pretty intense but the bench time you get is great and the guys who work there are fantastic, they really know what they're doing! I took the one year designer maker course which is basically a two part course. The first half you learn about the basics of woodworking then progress through a series of projects until you are making your own bench with a dove tailed tail vice then move onto something little like a jewellery box. The second half of the year is then spent working through your own designs practicing all the techniques you have learnt and developing more to accomplish what you want to create.

A great overall experience but quite costly considering you need to live near by and pay rent for a year whilst not earning. They do have three caravans on the premises with shower facilities though that are rented out for very little considering you are allowed 24 hour access to your bench which is on your door step (literally!).

I had a blast there and the days whizz by. I was sorry to leave but happy to be starting my own workshop with confidence.

Sorry I totally forgot to answer your question there!

I had a furniture and product design degree under my belt so that helped with technical drawings and understanding the machines a little. My degree didn't go into any detail of the behaviour of wood or give me any real hands on experience at all. It doesn't matter how much experience you have though they will start you off with a bit of wood and tell you to make it flat, square and true so they can get everybody up to the same standards that they expect. It's not a race though, they will spend time with you if you are struggling and make sure you fully understand the problem and better your understanding until you're planing/sawing with the best of them! :)

Hi Pete, I'm new to this site and appreciate you posted about workshop space to rent last year but wonder if you are still up for renting it out? I'm hoping to start making furniture for my own business as been unemployed for months so I'm very interested. Let me know if the offer is still open for negotiation.

Back