Workshop reorganization

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Since everyone seems to be building or changing round their workshop thought I had better join in!

Have been in my workshop for about 4 or 5 years now, thought I planned it well at the start but as always things change.

First thing was to build a rack near the door for timber deliveries, I had ended up storing timber and sheets on the opposite side of the workshop to the entrance so had to negotiate around all the machines etc when I got a delivery :rolleyes:

It's just basically 3x2 bolted to the wall with some heavy duty shelf brackets screwed on, won't ever have that much stuff on as I only order timber in as I need it.

Blank canvas

rack 1.jpg

Rack in place

rack 2.jpg

Loaded up

rack 3.jpg

Must remember not to order 5.4m lengths in future!

rack 4.jpg

Hopefully get chance to build a rack for sheet material next week.

looks good, I'd be tempted to cut the bottom feet back to be in line with the other levels, as it looks to take up floor space when not in use for storage.

I'd also move the sockets to a more convenient slot

I am in the final stages of a workshop refit, Started with having to replace the entire roof & this was finished about a month ago.
All replaced with insulated steel sheets & also insulated the doors etc (walls were done some years ago) The difference its made is phenominal one small oil filled rad & its toasty warm inside!
Since then a massive sort out has been taking place, throwing all the rubbish of the last 30 years away & being ruthless about it!
Extra racking for storage bins, more shelves on every available wall, new racks for storing timber, new bench for the pending laser cutter & this weeks job fitting ductwork & extractor for the same.
Hell it actually looks like i might get to make something before long!

Just don't get the glue and butter mixed up. Quite like the microwave idea though.

Looks like a lot of storage space if you only buy as needed?

Since everyone seems to be building or changing round their workshop thought I had better join in!

Have been in my workshop for about 4 or 5 years now, thought I planned it well at the start but as always things change.

First thing was to build a rack near the door for timber deliveries, I had ended up storing timber and sheets on the opposite side of the workshop to the entrance so had to negotiate around all the machines etc when I got a delivery :rolleyes:

It's just basically 3x2 bolted to the wall with some heavy duty shelf brackets screwed on, won't ever have that much stuff on as I only order timber in as I need it.

Blank canvas

View attachment 96800

Rack in place

View attachment 96801

Loaded up

View attachment 96802

Must remember not to order 5.4m lengths in future!

View attachment 96803

Hopefully get chance to build a rack for sheet material next week.

I can't find the means of starting a new thread so please excuse this post appearing here. I have come to the decision I need metal roller shutters to replace the up and over door of my garage workshop. Has anyone made this modification and does anyone have any advice. Thanks in anticipation.

John

I have roller doors on both "The shap" and the store. I think they are the bees knees.
Like most things though , not very secure unless you spend a bit extra

I can't find the means of starting a new thread so please excuse this post appearing here. I have come to the decision I need metal roller shutters to replace the up and over door of my garage workshop. Has anyone made this modification and does anyone have any advice. Thanks in anticipation.

John
if you go to the new posts page, then look on the right there is a box marked 'post thread' just below the search box

Many thanks. It's adverts causing problems. Cause text to vanish and shoving the posting window aside. Can
Well do without it!

Cheers.
John

Many thanks. It's adverts causing problems. Cause text to vanish and shoving the posting window aside. Can
Well do without it!

Cheers.
John
Click your avatar on the top bar John, click preferences in the drop down box, then tick the disable advertising box. HTH

John
I have roller doors on the garage workshop, and am wondering about changing them for conventional doors. The reason is that they are draughty as anything and there seems no easy way to seal the draughts. Very cold in winter and wasteful of heat!

Thanks musicman.

I find just the opposite is the case. My garage is integral with the house and with the metal door facing due South it has to be a really cold day before I can't feel any heat in the doors. So I want to stay with metal doors for I am convinced they collect heat and keep my shop rust free. Roller shutters will also get the door out of the way as it restricts the width of shelves I can have. I also have to worry about clouting my head when I'm in a hurry and forget to stoop! Incidentally I don't heat my shop. If it is too cold to work I just don't bother. I find a few minutes of vigorous planning soon warms me. Aren't I a roughie-tuffie? Lol!

John

I went for an insulated motorized sectional door..neat and you can park within inches of it and still open it but on the downside..you can't unload your boot in the dry under an overhanging up and over style door. Wasn't stupidly expensive either as next door neighbour works at a garage door company :D

Back