Workshop Planning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JungleJim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am in the planning process of my workshop and here is a picture of the area of the garden where i plan to put the it.

1140091728_5002e9a151.jpg

As you can see there is a eucalyptus tree in the middle of the garden, which is going to limit the width of the workshop. The tree is about 4m from the right fence.

i was considering a 6m x 3m workshop, this would give me approx 1/2m between the workshop and fence and 1/2m between workshop and tree.

so my question is does anyone think that this is a good idea, or are the roots going to give me trouble in future? (i was planning to use square concrete footings like mailee & carlsbergs build). or should i consider cutting the tree down now? i don't want to cut the tree down if i don't have to, but was thinking it might be a more sensible option if roots were going to cause problems. it would also mean that i would have the space to build a more square workshop.

I have a budget of up to 4k for the workshop and have been reading and taking notes on all the workshop builds people have posted on this site.

all advice greatly received

thanks

James

in all honesty i'd get rid of the eucalyptus. I know where all woodies, but if it's in the way, it's in the way. They grow so fast you could probably plant a new one else where if you really liked it.

I'd get rid of that **** eucalyptus too! It's non-native, so doesn't provide much biodiversity support, grows like a flaming rocket and isn't even particularly attractive. We had one in our old garden, it needed serious pruning every couple of years and even then shaded out most other things. And the timber from it is pretty uninteresting.........

Hi james

I think you might find that your building is required to be one metre in from your boundary, if this is the case, as I believe it is, you will have even less space. Lose the tree.

Richard

Hi James, you might like to read my thread in the workshop build forum. I'm trying to figure out the truth behind the '1 meter from boundary' rumour.

I think the problem is the difference between Building Regs and Planning Permission. Some sites refer to both, some only planning.

I don't think the 1m rule is in the planning side of things. So if you build small enough to avoid building regs (even if you don't need planning you do need BR for big structures) you can go to the boundary. If you build big you need BR and will have problems going near to the boundary (espec with a wood building).

I'm by no means an expert but from what I've read that is where it lies and why lots of the advice looks contradictory.

BigMac

DomValente":4at3devd said:
Think you'll find that permission will have to be obtained to chop the tree down.

Dom
Unlikely, I would think, unless it is in a conservation area, and even then, any sensible planning/conservation officer should encourage you to get rid of it! Now if it was a 200 year old oak tree, that would be different.....

Roger Sinden":1f4ayvl4 said:
JimJam":1f4ayvl4 said:
Hi James, you might like to read my thread in the workshop build forum. I'm trying to figure out the truth behind the '1 meter from boundary' rumour.

Mike..where is your thread located, please?

here :wink:

Andy

Thanks everyone for your replies,

It looks like the tree will be coming down. i would probably regret not doing it in the end. If the 1m rule turns out to be true i would have a very narrow workshop. if the tree goes then i can make it about 5m x5m.

recently bought the house and there was no mention of TPO's so should be ok there. I was planning on planting a new tree anyway

thanks jimjam for the link to your thread, i will phone the council on monday to see what they say about the 1m rule, will post back to let you know what they say.

cheers

james

Latest posts

Back