Workshop intercom system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Established Member
Reaction score
I get grief from SWMBO about her having to come out and get me from the workshop in the rain / dark / snow / sleet etc etc. I have wondered for a while whether I could get an intercom system - especially one that had lights or something that came on when a button was pressed in the house - ie green = tea ready, yellow = food ready, red = phone call, orange = etc etc. Does anyone have anything like this? or know where it could be purchased from. I am afraid my electronics / electrics is not up to making one myself.

We have one of those sets of cordless phones that have multiple handsets, and use one of the handsets with it's charging base in the workshop.

They have a feature that allows them to be used as an intercom without going through the BT system so costs nothing to use.

Think, but not certain, that most multiple handset systems have the same or similar feature.

Having said that, I quite like not bieng easily contacted while in the workshop !

It's also a good idea though for safety as well, to have an external phone or mobile close to hand in case of any digits bieng lost or similar !

Cheers, Paul. :D

I have a doorbell extension in my workshop. If anyone wants me, they just press the doorbell for about 5 secs. Of course, when I'm using the thicknesser with ear defenders on, I don't hear it. I suspect that would be the same with any solution.

I dont think i'd want lights and bells distracting me while i'm using machinary . Dont homebase sell those cheap walkie talkies for around £15 ?

My wife bought a set of these walkie-talkies for me last Christmas but, as often as not I forget to take one out with me of forget to turn it on (accidentally, of course) :wink: .

Get a dog which your wife can train to 'fetch' you.

It'll also be company for her as she endures 'shop widowhood' ;) :) .

Gill

chisel":2kkkah7u said:
It's also a good idea though for safety as well, to have an external phone or mobile close to hand in case of any digits bieng lost or similar !

So you don't want an analogue dial-phone, then?

Smudger":6ec6jfil said:
chisel":6ec6jfil said:

So you don't want an analogue dial-phone, then?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back