Workshop Insulation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunky Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

When I bought this house I also inherited a 20' x 10' wooden workshop (http://www.warwickworkrooms.co.uk/. The construction is basically 100mm struts on 600mm centres, 6mm ply, building paper and then 25mm shiplap. I'm about to start lining the interior with 18mm ply but have reservations about insulating the walls for fear of condensation.

I've checked with the manufacturers and the building paper is just a basic bitumen based paper and therefore not breathable. Am I right in thinking this will certainly cause me condensation if I insulate? Will I still get damp in the cavity between in and outer ply skins if I leave out the insulation and if so could I cure this by venting (slots in the inner ply skin??) the cavity.

The more I read about insulation the more I get confused, there's certainly more to it than meets the eye.......................

Thanks
Jon

Have you considered a vapour barrier beneath the interior ply skin then insulation between the studs

If I recall correctly its stagnant air in the wall voids that will cause trapped condensation an airflow will take the moist air away

Back