workshop floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm in the process of putting down a chipboard floor in the garage come workshop and I'm wondering what to cover it with afterwards. I've been offered some industrial carpet tiles for for free but I don't know how suitable carpet tiles will be for a woodworking environment.

Anybody got similar in their place?

Failing that it's probably going to be lino or a laminate floor.

For those lucky enough to have a covered floor in the shop, what are you using?

Cheers.

I have carpet tiles in one half of my garage and they work well, the saw dust seems to vacuum up easily and they are comfortable to stand on.

Pete

I've just got bare chipboard laid over three layers of laminate flooring underlay. I would wreck laminate flooring in no time

I have covered my floor with interlocking loft boards and that works well. I have also got some anti-fatigue matting around the areas I stand most - bench, lather etc.

Agreed. Don't go with anything too smooth. I laid chipboard in my last workshop and it looked so good I gave it a couple of coats of floor varnish. Big mistake - ended up dangerously slippery. Present workshop has bare chipboard - doesn't look great after 15 years but it is very much safer as feet grip on it.

I have floor tiles and it was the best decision I ever made. Quite easy to clean and if anything drops it doesn't have a hard surface to land on.

Neil

Thanks for the input, yes the laminate is out - I've remembered how slippy it could get in the flat when I was making something.

The lino would be an anti slip one.

Its good to know that the tiles would be easy to clean - don't think I could hack it if I couldn't clean up after a project. ATM the tiles are favourite, their the right price :) and very easy to put down.

Anybody else using them?

I had bare chipboard in my last workshop for over 20 years and it worked fine. If I wanted to glue something up that was too big for the bench I did it on the floor screwing battens to the chipboard and using wooden wedges. Primitive but effective!

Regards Keith

A mate has installed those interlocking plastic tiles and is very pleased with them. Not least because the glue drips come off easily!

Jim

Over the existing 12mm wooden floor I have 12mm ply fixed onto 2 x 1 battens at 300 centres with insulation between the battens. It is very firm and easy to keep clean, and the insulation is welcome in winter. I have doubled up on the battens beneath the heavy tablesaw.

John

Back