Workshop floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Gibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the best type of flooring to go over concrete in a workshop?

Thanks

Nick

Nick

I don't know if it's the best but I used Polythene dpc followed by 10mm thick fibre board as put under laminate floor followed by moisture resistant 8x2 T&G flooring chipboard. It's warm comfortable with a slight spring but will support weight all over the surfaceg and works out to a reasonable price.

Cheers Alan

I used a damp-proof membrane.. laid 1" battens, and put underfloor insulation in the gaps between.. and finished with a layer of 19mm softwood ply (varnished).

Cheap, warm, and I don't worry about dropping my chisels anymore.

Nick

I put 2x1 24inch on center with 1 inch poly insulation between then and T&G OSB floring on top.

WOrs fine, confortable and warm

Les

I put down 2" high density foam insulation and then 3/4 marine grade T&G ply glued to itself but allowed to float.

Warm, firm and comfy on the feet.

Hi Nick,

I did EXACTLY what Woody Allen describes (In fact IIRC I think he advised me just over a year ago).

I can confirm that 'over concrete' it is fantastic, it's warm, comfortable to walk on, doesn't damage your tools when you drop them, and worked out cheaper than the other options I was considering. Oh I nearly forgot, you can position your machinery anywhere.

I have put a coat of varnish on, mainly in the 'high traffic areas' to prevent the strands in the boards working loose but this may not be essential 'cos where I've not varnished there is no probs. (That's after one year,)

I did have 2 inch foam slabs laid into the concrete which I would say is well worth doing if you've got the height.

I laid a damp proof membrane followed by 2" polystyrene insulation and floated a moisture resistant chipboard floor on top. Feels really good - so much warmer and less tiring on the feet than the bare concrete.

Only problem I have is that I painted with garage floor paint and I now find it rather slippery if it gets dusty. Then again, it's so easy to sweep up that it's not too much of a problem.

Dave

International floor paint on mine. Mind you having a damn great Butane gas heater does help!!

If you put 8x2 T&G OSB sheets down (As WoodAllen advised above) it would seem a pity to paint them IMHO - Where I've used varnish they look really good in addition to the other benefits.

Just my view, using floor paint may suit some people.

Sprung flooring is great for the legs but not so good under machines or workbenches.

I got the machine part right but not the bench part!

David

Sprung flooring is great for the legs but not so good under machines or workbenches.

I got the machine part right but not the bench part! Luckily I can just about stand them (benches) over the battens.

18mm battens at suitable spacing with water resist flooring chipboard on top for the standing and walking areas.

Double layer of 18mm flooring under the machines, all on dry concrete. Should have filled the voids with polystyrene.

If using paint or varnish it is good to add grit near the machines so it is not slippery.

David

Back