Workshop extraction system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradshaw Joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guya and gals,

I'm moving my workshop soon to a bit bigger space, roughly 10mx8.8m and I'm in need of some extractor ideas.

I currently use a big dust extractor located in a different building to my workshop that sucks all the dust out but it also takes the hot air with it! This new workshop I have focused closely on heat retention, and temperature control, so don't want to bring any cold moist air into the shop like that...

Has anyone build a room or frame around their extractor and used filter material to contain the dust. I feel I might struggle for power if I get a higher filtration bag, the current ones are about 12' tall.....

Or do I build a small sealed shed outside, and have a vent back into the workshop with a filter panel in it....?

I Would greatky appreciate some fresh ideas!

Immediate thought: take the cleaned air back into the workshop, as you suggest.

I had a similar idea in one of our bathrooms: It's next to the side attic containing the boiler and DHW tanks. There's a pitched roof. As a last-minute idea, I fitted two extractor fans: a normal one, with a grating in the ceiling above the shower, and a second one in the apex of the roof above the boiler. That one sucks warm air through a 4" duct to a floor-level vent at the other end of the bathroom. It's not as good as I thought it might be, but it does help stop the room steaming up in the winter. I'm not sure that I needed the second fan, either - the duct might have been enough on its own.

Anyway, heat that otherwise would go to waste gets used, and the mirrors don't fug.

E.

thats the idea Eric!

Finding it very difficult planning on paper, what will work in practice! I think i will build a small cubucle int he corner, perspex doors where the bags are so i can visually check when were full, and filter material walls between studwork, then hoover it every so often!!

i wonder if spray booth filter would be suitable

An architect told me a while ago about a firm that he was working with that installed an external system with a heat exchanger so that not much heat was lost. I think the firm was:

http://www.westgatejoinery.co.uk

Might be worth having a chat with them if you want the best of both worlds.

That may all be be complete nonsense by the way, it's a while since I had the conversation, but I think that is what he said....

Back