Workshop exterior

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-David-

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to embark on my major project of a 4X4M and 6X4M garden shed and 'summerhouse'. I know the look I want but not quite sure how to go about it.
I have used a lot of 4X1" sawn/treated for fencing and with a light waft over with a belt sander and Cuprinol Garden Shades it looks both smart and naturally rustic.
The common procedure with a shed would be horizontal shiplap or feather edge etc., but I want my lengths to be vertical! The problem will be of course ingress of water down the small but inevitable cracks. I do not want to double up with an extra overlapping layer - I just want it flat. Treated T&G would be too expensive and too finished looking.

So the questions are -

With vertical 4X1's and plenty of crossbracing will I still need to sheath the carcassing with thin Ply?
Can I just rely on a membrane between the verticals and the carcassing?
What sandwich of components would you use from the exterior to the interior surface of the shed?

David

Hi David, I have built a similar workshop to this although i did use shiplap for the outside of it running horizontally. Here is the website if you want to take a look at it: http://www.readersheds.co.uk/readershed ... &from=Find I am afraid I can't answer your question on the vertical boarding although it is normal to place the damp membrane on the inside of the framework with a sandwich of insulation in between this and the outside. my own consists of shiplap on the outside, rockwool, and then the membrane followed by T&G cladding on the inside. Anyway have a look at this site it may be of interest as there are a lot of guys on it who have built them. Hope this helps. :wink:

Hi David

As an alternative, if you want rustic why not do what I did. I bought some damaged fence panels from a diy shed and skinned the shed osb sheeting with the thin panel strips horizontally, overlapping each by a couple of inches. I used the structural pieces of the fence panels vertically from the floor to the roof every 3 feet to overlay the horizontal strips and keep them in place.

Dennis

mailee and Jordan
Horizontal shiplap is designed for water run off so did you not bother with membrane between it and the shed frame?
Now I know I am being awkward by having non interlocking verticals, so do you think that a membrane between the verticals and the frame is enough or should I have a
vertical boards/membrane/thin ply/frame (with rockwool)/membrane/internal cladding sandwich or
vertical boards/thin waterproof ply/membrane/frame (with rockwool)/membrane/internal cladding sandwich.

You had a lucky find there Jordan, and I reckon I would have to be very lucky indeed to find bits for both a 6X4M and 4X4 sheds.

Some time ago I asked the forum about tin corrugated Tin Tabernacles but soon found that I was out of my depth in manipulating metal . I have now found inspiration in a small wooden house in the Forest of Dean. The exterior is vertical T&G and I reckon it is at least 80 years old. I know I am capable of building something similar.

David

the only way i can think you could have the boards vertical is by putting 1" x 1/2" strips over the joints but on the back of them about 1/8" in all
the way down a very small v groove this will help stop capillary action so the water wont be sucked in to the actual joint

or you could put 1" rebates all along both sides of each board so you can over lap them but still run a v groove 1/8" all the way down

something like this sorry its not to scale still learning.

overlap.png

cheeers
shaun

ps sorry about the size of the pic not sure how to shrink it yet

prawnking

Please don't apologise regarding your sketchup skills - you are way ahead of me. Thanks for your time, I wonder how many words it would have taken to explain that profile?
It would certainly work and I have a large Triton and stand. My only hesitation would be that it is a sophisticated solution to what is a 'rustic piece of timber ie. sawn and hairy. Another way might be a loose tongue?

What I will attempt to do this weekend is to post some pictures - another area where I need to catch up.

Many thanks

David

Hi David

You had a lucky find there Jordan, and I reckon I would have to be very lucky indeed to find bits for both a 6X4M and 4X4 sheds.

Not far off the size of my place:

workshop.jpg

That's the end wall (the easiest one to photograph)

Dennis

Excellent Jorden - that looks much neater than it read off the screen.
What thickness osb did you use, and pardon my ignorance but does osb have any waterproof qualities?

David

OSB does have some waterproof qualities, and is often used for boarding up empty properties. I used 12mm for the walls and I think the roof was a little thicker (it was 3 years ago). The outer skin does keep the OSB dry though if I was building again I'd probably use a layer of tar paper between the OSB and outer skin just for peace of mind. Incidentally the shed is 15 square meters and to build it cost me about £800 fully insulated (walls, roof and floor) and lined with plasterboard.

Dennis

Latest posts

Back