Workshop Essentials Festool Domino Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got it Bob, how did you guess? :)

The brass screw cups mean that the screw holes won't get chewed up as I attach and remove the support blocks for each job.

I'm assuming you do know that Festool make a jig that screws to the underside of the fence with adjustable wings that you match to the stock width for batch runs of end grain cuts. I have it in fact and frankly it's a little fiddly although once in place it works OK. Yours looks easier to use and their's doesn't solve the problem of accidentally referencing the cut off the base of the domino instead of the fence (which has cost me several ruined mortises)

I am aware of the Festool add-on, but it deals only with the end-grain challenge and not with the stile challenge, which actually I think is more of a risk.

Besides, I'm a cheapskate.

Steve Maskery":b2xne4mn said:
Well the clearance could be less than a ruler I suppose, but I don't see how it leads to inaccuracies, the mortice is produced by where I put the machine.
Just as long as the workpieces go in and come out easily, that's all that matters.

OK get it, the side pieces are only for support of the domino, not to hold the work piece in place.

As you know, Steve, I've just joined the ranks of the Green and Black army with a big-size Domino. Nice bit of kit; now only need to learn how to use it properly!

Re-read this with great interest, and have started looking for my box of screw cups already - it's simple but highly effective, as the best ideas usually are.

And it would also help, possibly modified slightly, with biscuit jointing, too: As an experiment, recently I made a trolley for my P/T, biscuiting together three layers of 18mm MRMDF, but in 25mm wide L-shaped pieces (it makes a tall rim around the platform that carries the castors). I wanted to plant #10 biscuits carefully, so the two joins didn't bump into each other:
trolley-corner.jpg

I like biscuiting with the base of the jointer on the benchtop, as it helps me avoid skidding issues (I can already see that the Domino is loads better in this regard, because the front handle is on the fence, rather than the moving body of the machine - what were Lamello thinking originally???). I ended up with a rather awkward ad-hoc support arrangement to hold the workpiece still while I cut the slots. This idea (or similar) would have been loads better.

Attachments

• trolley-corner.jpg
    trolley-corner.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 391
Back