Workshop Electric Supply - Electrician Cost?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to get a new electric supply to my workshop and I wondered if anyone could give me an idea what the going rate is for electricians. It involves supplying 30M approx of 6mm SWA cable plus necessary parts to connect each end. The cable route is all above ground so it should be a fairly straight forward job. I have had one quote for this so far which was for £1700+VAT. I was a bit shocked as I was expecting it to be less than half that amount, but I’m now wondering if I’m being unrealistic. Any idea how much I should expect to pay?

Thanks,

Richard.

I'd expect to pay £200 a day plus materials. That only helps if you can estimate the number of days work it is though...

Ed

6mm swa Cable is £1.75/metre and a pair of glands is another £5

Say another £5-10 for clips and odds & sods.

It can't take more than a day and I don't disagree with the £200/day.

I'd get some more quotes from one man band outfits and make it obvious to each that you are getting multiple quotes.

Good luck

Bob

WHy not offer the dig out the channel as that will be a large part of the cost depending on what it has to go under.

Not sure if I am correct but I think its 12-18inchs below

When I was last looking at this my builder must have found the most expensive place to get cable from. Can't remember how much but it was about 3-4 times the cost of the thickest cable I could find.

When I get round to it I'll be sourcing the cable and digging the trench myself. That way I just need to call in an electrician to make the connections.

Dave

If its all above ground, lay the cable to the termination points yourself and just get the sparkles to terminate and give you the certificate. I know a couple of sparks and they hate lay long lengths of armoured cable, its heavy and not much fun.

£1700+VAT, blimey.

Last year I had IIRC 25m of 10mm steel armoured cable installed, fitted to house consumer unit, new CU in the garage and reconnection of existing ring main and lighting in garage for £400.

The cable was routed round the side of the house. I dug a 3 meter trench across our patio for the cable to reach the garage rather than have it ran in the air.

I'd say get at least another 2 or 3 quotes.

Pete

Mate,
Just get quotes and take the chance on the right one for your budget. We had 2 high ones that were £600 dearer than what we paid in the end.

To be honest I could have done a better job. No faults with the system but pretty messey. Holes dug into walls/ceilings, trunking was self adhesive lol fell off pretty much an hour after he left, etc... I was left to stick some self tapping screws into the trunking, deep gap fill the holes, repaint, etc... no hassle but all avoidable i.e. not a pro job.

If I did it again I'd chase the walls instead and lay the cable myself. I do it enough at work with network cable though. Thought I'd take a saturday off and get someone in, not again. DIY if you can though then get them to connect it up.

I've powered my workshop and the costs, from different people, were as follows.

1. 20m armored cable, £50
2. 20 m trench dug, plastic conduit put in and back filled, £200
3. Sparks to fit cable at house and fit new consumer unit in shed, wire in lights and add switch, put two double sockets in the shed, £150.

Get another quote!

Thanks for all the replies! The figures mentioned here seem very reasonable and are more in line with what I was expecting to be quoted. I am planning to get more quotes, but most of the electricians I've phoned so far seem too busy and have said they would have a look when they are in the area or when they get time. I suspect if they are busy and don't need the work they are more likely to over price the job so I think I'll have to phone some more. Sounds like a good idea to run the cable myself and just get the electrician to connect it ..I'll probably do that to save some money.

This has been a big help. Thanks again.

Richard.

..I'm in East Sussex. I must admit I was a bit surprised and thought they were taking the p..., but when I queried it they said it was mainly the material costs so I started to wonder.

Shame you're not local. Get a few quotes though as said above. £250-£350 at a guess should get it done. If you lay the armoured cable out yourself and you've not done it before then make sure you roll it out straight as it can kink quite easily if it's not done right.

Let us know how you get on.
Paul

Mine was very similar and was 350 all in, including the SWA, consumer unit, 10 double sockets and a pair of fluorescent lights. Oh and he even wired in a couple of security lights I had lying around while he was at in.

Back