Workshop Ceiling Construction Query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Another garage conversion thread I'm afraid but having searched and read through other relevant posts I still have a couple of questions.

I have a 6m x 6m double garage, block wall construction with a tiled and sarked gable roof that I'd like to make more enticing to use in the winter by cladding and insulating. I've started to research installing a ceiling onto the roof trusses, the rafters of which are 95mm x 38mm @ 600mm centres.

I've read plenty of recommendations to use OSB but am wondering what thickness would be best, could I get away with 9mm? In a similar vein I have noticed that at some thickness' MDF is cheaper than OSB, is there any reason not to use MDF? MFD appeals to me as I believe the surface finish would look better when painted. The garage does not suffer from damp.
Once the sheeting is up I would plan to insulate with 100mm fibre glass, is this reasonable?

I'll stop there for now because I'm sure I'll be back with questions about cladding the walls.

Regards Mick

I would say 9mm will be fine, i would be tempted to put noggins in between the trusses to stiffen it up and catch the edges of the boards. Don't forget 9.5mm plasterboard often gets used on ceilings. I would probably fit a row of boards, insulate. Then board/insulate etc. I would also probably put a min of 150mm insulation in, it will be warmer and you have the space. :)

You may want to hold fire on the insulation; B&Q and others often heavily discount theirs in the summer.

Hi

Thanks for the feedback, I like the advice re waiting for summer discounts on insulation.

Nev - I've shyed away from plasterboard as others have pointed out how prone it is to damage when manoeuvring large sheets etc.

Regards Mick

It depends on how you will be boarding the ceiling. Will you be doing it on your own? Or will you have help? If your on your own, the 6 x 3 plasterboards will be easier to move/fit by one person. Even at 9mm, an 8 x 4 sheet of mdf will be heavy holding above your head while fixing it.

Hi

Sorry - I see where the confusion has come from :roll:

I'm concerned about an installed plasterboard ceiling being damage at a later stage by my careless handling of large sheet material or long lengths of boards etc.

Regards Mick

I guess that depends upon the height of the ceiling, the room you have to maneuver and the size of the material maneuvered; certainly it would be more vulnerable to knocks than ply or mdf. How about match wood? It's easily fitted on your own. Having said that, you could hire a plasterboard lift, which simplifies fitting any sheet material to a ceiling.

I used a double layer of plasterboard suspended off resilient bars (for noise reduction). Not that hard to do (but you lose a bit of head height). Go outside the garage now and close the door with the planer thicknesser running - can't hear it at all!!

Worth every penny to me with neighbours living close by,

Paul

Back