workshop armoured cable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Established Member
Reaction score
needing a little advice.what size of armoured cable have you got going out too your workshop? i just build a 10mx6m workshop and woundering what cable i need to put in from my mains.cheers

you would need to give an indication of the cable length and the load in amps or kw you would anticiate to be drawing.

Whether you use 6, 10mm, 16mm depends on volt drop over dist and power requirement as Jimmy says.

Generally going a size larger than needed doesnt cost a huge amount extra when the labour and other costs are added up. Bigger SWA cable are somewhat unwieldly though and tricky to terminate -no prob for a sparks though

Some people may suggest using a 4 core, it allows for using a core as earth and a spare.

Earthing arrangement needs to be decided.

its only a 15m run.my mate is a spark.he thinks 6mm would be fine but im just wanting to cheak.as he is a rig spark and has not done alot of house/workshop wiring. he usually works with cable as thick as your arm.

I used a 10mm 4 core SWA for a 25m run on a 60A breaker with a panel in the workshop, 32A for sockets on a ring , 6A for lights and 20A for extractor.

Theres not a great difference between 6mm and 10mm in cost for 15m so id go bigger, given all the work involved routing cable.

Decision on earthing required early.
Does your supplier allow transportation of the earth or will you need to TT the workshop supply.
Questions for you.
What type of supply does the house have?
Will the workshop have any other services?
Does the workshop have any structural steel?
Does the house consumer unit have room and load capacity for a supply circuit?

Latest posts

Back