Workshop Air Cleaners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other members will probably be better aquainted than me in this subject.
My first thoughts are that it's possibly useful to trap the final very fine dust that can easily escape the bigger extracters.
But, in reality, too small and of a domestic targeted unit for the ordinary air borne dust associated with domestic housing.
and not a workshop, dusty environment.
Regards Rodders

The supplier has other ones that are bigger, but the one I linked to would just about give 6 air changes an hour in a small workshop and I wondered whethered they would do for a home workshop; no good for trade of course.

I don't need one myself, but I was intrigued because I have a rather noisy Microclene 760, which appears to do a good job, but it ain't cheap and the filter itself consists of a single layer of "Bondina" filter media - no pre-filter or post filter, no folds to increase surface area, no clever path changes to encourage the dust to drop out of the air. If I blow a bit of sanding dust onto it, say off someting I am sanding by hand, it overloads the filter and a good deal of the dust goes straight through so I do wonder at just how effective it is. The Record and Jet types are too bulky for my small workshop, hence the reason for buying the Microclene, which has a superb quality fan and should last for ages, but does seem rather agricultural.

I just thought there may be something better/cheaper out there without having to make your own.

Duncan

the smaller jet if hung from ceiling would seem to be fairly out of the way? I have the larger jet one, and it is totally different to a domestic air purifier.

I use a Blueair 450E. Prior to that I used a Blueair 600 series for many years. Both terrific machines. Virtually silent, HEPA filters, and the new machine has automatic dust and odour sensors which vary the fan speed accordingly.

It sits on the floor next to my workbench and is never switched off.

Thanks for your comments gents, I don't think I'll be getting a HEPA filter any time soon but would certainly consider the various options before shelling out for an air cleaner again.

Mouppe: That Blueair looks interesting, but it is very expensive in the UK and also quite large for the quoted flow. Unfortunately we have small workshops over here and pay through the nose for a lot of things that are reasonably priced in North America.

Dave: even the small Jet would take more wall space than I am prepared to lose and couldn't be suspended in the middle of the workshop because the ceiling is too low - hence my purchase of the compact MC760 which does also have the merit of being easily portable.

If I was needing an air cleaner again, I would make my own, as several members of UKW have already done. My Microclene MC760 is ridiculously simple and could be functionally emulated quite easily - although finding a fan of similar quality may not be easy or cheap. I have considered cutting out the steel discharge grilles to see if that will reduce the noise, but so far have chickened out as there would be no going back! A timer might be handy for some people but that could be sorted easily enough by buying a timer socket. Not sure how easily different speeds could be arranged.

I should point out that the MC760 is a good bit of kit, very compact and powerful, and I bought it in full knowledge that it was a tad noisy. However, I sometimes like to explore means of improving things just for the fun of it and HEPA filters appear to have some good ideas at often quite reasonable cost.

Duncan

Back