Workshop Accident...it's not only machines!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading the theoretical opinions of SawStop...router guards....dado sets....spindle moulder....RAS....etc injuries lately....one gets more and more safety conscious...and I always wear good quality goggles for power tools.

This is even more important to me as I don't have a "spare" having lost the sight of my right eye in a car accident at age 21 courtesy of a drunk driver on the wrong side of the road. :(

Imagine my horror then when I ended up in AE this week with a tiny splinter embedded in the centre of my good eye!

How did I manage that? Well...I was testing the sharpness of a newly-honed chisel on a piece of pine...

I unknowingly pushed (not hit) through a tiny branch knot...the sharpness proving itself as it sliced the top of the centre of the knot off and projected it up and into my eye at high velocity...over my impact resistant spectacles and straight into my eye!

This was removed under local at my nearby A/E by the ophthalmic surgeon and after 48hrs rest with some antibiotic cream I should be ok.

So....watch out there in that shed...danger lurks in the most innocuous places!

Jim

Jimi - good luck for a full recovery, and I hope it isn't too sore.

I think we can put that one down to genuine bad luck, which some accidents still are, and not to complacency or ignoring safe working practices.

(You'll have to have a word with Alfie - he does seem to get a bit close to the work sometimes. Maybe he needs a pair of goggles too!)

Cheshirechappie":wztcvlev said:
You'll have to have a word with Alfie - he does seem to get a bit close to the work sometimes. Maybe he needs a pair of goggles too!)
uploadfromtaptalk1340276703026.jpg

:geek:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340276703026.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340276703026.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 375
Jim that's rotten luck. Hope it's going to be fine. At least it sounds like you quickly got attention from a good chap.

Pine can bite you in so many ways ....

Gee Louise!!! I laughed so much at that picture I was in tears which was wonderful as it washed all the cr@p out! Did my eye a world of good! Thanks Mark! =D> He even has a wonky tooth like ALFIE!! Brilliant! Simply brilliant!

Thanks for the kind wishes guys...and Richard...yes she was the right chap!! :mrgreen: Lovely bubbly Jamaican woman....she said "AH! Yes...you have a little foreign body in your eye sir....!"

I said I thought I hadn't seen Brigitte Bardot in a while!! :mrgreen:

I think it will be ok...it's the "not going into the workshop for a couple of days" bit that's driving me mad!!!

Still...at least I can still see where it is!

Cheers guys!

Jim

Hi, Jim

I had a similar thing happen to me I was bending old trunking in halt to fit in the bin and one piece shattered and sent a shard into my eye! you don't expect your eye to bleed!

Get well soon mate.

Pete

Hi Jim

Glad it looks like you are going to be OK.

I lost a lot of the sight in my left eye in a work accident when I was an apprentice and have got a bit of wood in the right eye in the past, so know the panic that goes through your mind when it happens and the relief when you find it is going to be fine.

You will soon back in the workshop.

Tom

Racers":xnu0bg0z said:
Hi, Jim

I had a similar thing happen to me I was bending old trunking in halt to fit in the bin and one piece shattered and sent a shard into my eye! you don't expect your eye to bleed!

Get well soon mate.

Pete

I did not know my eye was bleeding, but the first aider did as he took one look, grabbed my arm dragged my out of the workshop, into his car and set off at well over 90 towards the hospital, through a 30 zone.

He was in a bit of a panic as it was partly his fault the my accident happened.

I think I was more scared about if we were going to get there alive than what was wrong with my eye at that point.

Tom

lots of accidents going on at the moment

job for the weekend - go and check all my safety practices and guards etc

thanks for the reminder get well soon

Ouch! That sounds nasty and undeserved. Glad to hear you got good immediate attention and are on the mend.

Re safety glasses, I've tried plenty of shapes and styles and still got splinters in my eyes. I now only use a full face shield or goggles.

That dog's got the right goggles....

goggles.JPG

Hope your eye gets better Jim.

Roy

Attachments

• goggles.JPG
    goggles.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 168
when you read of things like this about people that have already lost sight in one eye, it brings home how valuable eyesight is. Imagine one eye lost a few years ago and an innocent accident and booooom all of a sudden yoiu're blind doesnt bear thinking about....

I'm off to buy some more goggles....

How easy it is to do something like that. Sure we've all been guilty of either forgetting to put on eye protection, or bending down with standard prescription safety glasses, which leaves just enough additional gap for nice little sharp things to fly through. DAMHIKT

Latest posts

Back