Worksharp WS3000 overheating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Established Member
Reaction score
Having umd and arrh and impending birthday I bit the bullet and got one of these. So for once I read all instructions and checked out all the vids. First time out the box after 30 minutes use it overheated and shut down. :shock:
After cooling it reset but definitely heats up quick. I've sent it back to Rutlands as faulty. Got to hope this is a one off and Rutlands step up to there side which from what of read on the internet has me worried. :cry:
Question is to other WS3000 owners have you ever overheated unit? I wasn't overloading unit/ there was no sign of disc slowing showing motor strain or anything.

Had mine for 3 years. Use it regularly with the glass wheels without any such trouble. But then again, but I don't believe I've ever left it running continuously for 30 mins (correction - possibly on the first session or two, when initially correcting my chisels after years of distortion from hand sharpening).

Thanks guys. This was first time out the box.

Just an update.

Rutlands replaced the faulty unit with a new one that I received today, great me thinks. No such luck about 30 minutes of use the new WS3000 shutsdown overheated. I've been onto Worksharp customer services which have been helpful. They've already email me with pulley belt adjustment fix that unfortunately didn't work.

Here's a few pictures's of demo test that I emailed to worksharp customer services.
Machine is elevate on battens to increase airflow and clamped to stop movement.
You can see time lapse. Started machine after 15:45, machine shuts down at 16:04. I'm using new p120 with no real pressure on blade when sharpening. Got one finger on the front of the blade to feel if any heat builds up. I'm sliding blade up and down the bar couple times then lift off and clean with scrub block. I didn't get to finish the primary bevel before the unit over heated.
Oh and yes that is a meat probe to measure heat coming off motor casing.

This is the 2" blade I'm trying to sharpen.

The temperature read 24'c before startup and just over 40'c at shutdown.

I've never taken measurements in the way you have, but I'm fairly sure I've given my machine a similar 20 minute's of heavy work-out, with iron cooling/cleaning breaks, as you did. But you've had a replacement machine, so it's very puzzling (unless WS have lowered the spec of some critical component!).

Back