Workmate plus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to have a good Workmate. OK it had seen some use, most of the plastic bits had broken and someone left the cake out in the rain, so the surface was all warped. I abandoned it during a crisis.
Recently I bought a replacement. It's not the same model and some bits are an eye-opener. For example, the surface is not baltic birch ply, it is laminated bamboo. But even so, so far so good.

Today I was trying to hold something a rather odd shape. Now on my old one the handles were independent of each other. These two are linked by a plastic sprocketed chain. The icons imply that this can be over-ridden to clamp tapers, but I'm blowed if I can see how. Somehow the chain needs to be disengaged from the handles and I can't see for the life of me how. Does anyone know what I am missing?

This is the particular model:

152926_l.jpg

TVM
Steve

Hmm.
Thanks. That's what the icons implied. I think that one handle should drive the other, but not vice-versa. But it doesn't happen. Each handle drives the other.
:(
S

Yep, I thinked they termed it a 'one handed tightening feature', but either handle also will work independently-with a little force

Hi Steve

Do they have the cross piece directly under the jaw opening so you can't hold long boards upright?

I made my previous settees with a workmate a green bosh circular saw and a No4 plane, 'kin hard work.

Pete

Not sure, I'll have to take a look.
Today I was prepping some pippy oak, from rough sawn, with a No. 5, because at 310mm it was too wide for the planer.
It was, as you say, blinkin' hard work.
:)
Steve

The centre brace is under the jaws, but can be offset a little, this model also has a pivoting front jaw, it can be tilted thru 90 degrees to clamp stuff horizontaly, its a great design, I had reservations about the 'bamboo' jaws-but after 5 years of battering its still barely grazed-well impressed :)

Ron Hickman must be turning in his grave every time the tinkerers at Black & Decker further dumb down the Workmate. What a pile of tat his brilliant design has become. Thank goodness I still have my original Mate Tools Workmate - still going strong after 43 years of hard use.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Not so fast Paul, my Dad has one of the originals, my new fankled model is advanced compared to it, and I've no doubt will last as long :D as someone who has first hand experience of both I can speak from 'experience' 8)

That version is utter tripe.

I have one and I am not a tradesman. Merely a very active part timer and mine is about ready for the bin after only 6 months semi-active usage.

The crappy tin its made out of is utter garbage.

Well I have that one as well as 2 others including an old model with the alloy frame I've had for 30 years at least and as far as I'm concerned it's the worst of the 3.

On the face of it there are some good ideas but in prsctice I find it doesn't hold as well and tends to slip. As said, it's flimsy compared to the old one and I really do not like the top but above all I hate the adjustable / removeable back section. Unless the jaws are closed which they can't be if on the furthest back setting when I pick the damn thing up to put away the back section falls off and always drops on to my foot. My fault I know #-o but easily done when hurrying to clear up at the end of a job.

The only good thing about it is that it was a gift from a customer and cost me bu**er all so it's been very close to being skipped more than once!

Bob

Steve Maskery":1h9ujvtp said:
Today I was prepping some pippy oak, from rough sawn, with a No. 5, because at 310mm it was too wide for the planer.
It was, as you say, blinkin' hard work.

Steve, if you want to put it through my thicknesser your welcome to.

Cheers.

Doug.

I am downsizing and most of the powered noisemakers have to go. basically i lost my workshop in a breakup and the new one is much nicer but smaller. This means that I have a 10" planer/thicknesser that is looking for a home if you are interested...

Back