Bootfair Booty now the sun is shining?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porbably unlikely in the scenario you set Unib, however, if you have a blade, folding or other wise more than 3" long then that is in contravention of the act, assuming you were in a public place of course.

So, if you were whittling sticks or even skinning a rabbit I don't think you would have too many concerns. However, in that scenario of skinning a rabbit in the woods, if some one took offence to you skinning a rabbit (quite likely now a days) and you shooed them off with the knife of 3" in your hand you could be in play if a complaint was made.

The example set could get you arrested at the scene, although a court may deem having a knife in a wood while camping may be par for the course and therefore a lawfull excuse, They could ask however, why do you need a 6" bladed knife (not that your leatherman would be that size).

I was merely pointing out that lock knives are not a good idea to have on your person. Unlikely you would be stopped for filming but for whatever reason you came across plod and your knife was found on you (whether linked to the reason for being stopped or not) you would have to answer a couple of questions to answer.

Another example of where people come a cropper is towing a trailer on a normal car licence. You can tow the trailer but as soon as you load it you may be over the prescribed weight. The law isn't straight forward I'm afriad. As I see it the only ones to benefit are the lawyers and solicitors who can create a case out of nothing and drag it out for large sums..............perhaps that's just my cynical perspective on it!

Thanks for clearing that up, to be honest I don't really get up to any rabbit killing when I'm out, just clearing up the odd weed out of a scene, or repairing kit. Most places I go don't have anyone else around so I'm unlikely to offend. Now, I wonder if the 5 inch spikes on the ends of my tripod could be considered as a weapon :shock:

Bluekingfisher":20r88k93 said:
Porbably unlikely in the scenario you set Unib, however, if you have a blade, folding or other wise more than 3" long then that is in contravention of the act, assuming you were in a public place of course.

So, if you were whittling sticks or even skinning a rabbit I don't think you would have too many concerns. However, in that scenario of skinning a rabbit in the woods, if some one took offence to you skinning a rabbit (quite likely now a days) and you shooed them off with the knife of 3" in your hand you could be in play if a complaint was made.

The example set could get you arrested at the scene, although a court may deem having a knife in a wood while camping may be par for the course and therefore a lawfull excuse, They could ask however, why do you need a 6" bladed knife (not that your leatherman would be that size).

I was merely pointing out that lock knives are not a good idea to have on your person. Unlikely you would be stopped for filming but for whatever reason you came across plod and your knife was found on you (whether linked to the reason for being stopped or not) you would have to answer a couple of questions to answer.

Another example of where people come a cropper is towing a trailer on a normal car licence. You can tow the trailer but as soon as you load it you may be over the prescribed weight. The law isn't straight forward I'm afriad. As I see it the only ones to benefit are the lawyers and solicitors who can create a case out of nothing and drag it out for large sums..............perhaps that's just my cynical perspective on it!

Bluekingfisher said:

quote]

Some laws make you laugh these days, I've got a locking knife with a blade around 3/3.5 inches long, which I used to use for cutting sticks (I'm a hobby stickmaker) and it was always in my pocket when I was out and about in the countryside. Now, I use a folding pruning saw and only take it with me when specifically looking for sticks to cut.

I've also got a lovely little locker with a blade less than 1.5 inches, which I carried most of the time for those little odd jobs than penknives were used for (levering staples out of documents, scraping gunge off printer and copier rollers etc. etc) and now I can't carry it.

Yet I'm allowed to carry an old fahioned penknife with a 2.5" blade. Somewhere or other, I've also got a sheath knife that's around 3", so if I make sure that it's no longer than 3", I can carry that legally?

Posted this before but now with a photo.
I have a tiny Al Mar Gentleman's knife with a 15mm blade which I used to have attached to my key ring. Had it so long I forgot I had it.
Got pulled in by Security at the House of Commons, interrogated and severely told off as it is a lock knife!
The penknife I generally carry has a 70mm blade and is legal but I know which would cause more damage if used in anger?

Rod

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337010117.199278.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337010117.199278.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 82
Just had to pipe up on this one guy's. The legality of a locking blade, of the sizes mentioned above, REALLY? I realise , and to a degree , understand the laws you lads have regarding guns. Let's face it , even small guns are dangerous. But that lock blade pictured above would be more likely to cause hemmoraging from laughter were it to be used threateningly. Knives are tools , used by man since we crashed the rocks together and got an edge. IMHO the outlawing of that tiny knife weakens all other weapons laws. How is it possible to keep a straight face while testifying to the perpetrators lethal intent with a weapon that would need to be submerged in the victim to reach an organ.
My father was a great guy who would not harm a soul . That said , he had a large collection of knives , mostly of the hunting and lock blade types. He just loved them and in all sizes as well. I inherited them some years back and treasure them for the memories they bring back. One of my favorites is the uber lock blade he bought for sheer size. It is the size of a small machete and cannot be concealed , trust me , it can't. With 11 inches of blade and more than 13 inches of hilt I can think of no legitimate use for it. Still , nobody should be able to legislate whether I should own it or ask me why I should want to either.

The usual UK law I'm afraid, a bit of media attention and laws are passed without due consideration or thought (we vote them in)

A bit like the increase in alcohol per unit, of course that will really put the bums off buying it, just another tax on the people who enjoy the odd tipple.

Correction - With regards to the trailer and towing, that refers mostlt yo Licences gained after 1997. Test passed prior to that the weight is prescrobed by the size/power of the unit or the plate weight of the trailer.

A Crown Court case (Harris v DPP), ruled (case law). A lock knife for all legal purposes, is the same as a fixed blade knife. A folding pocket knife must be readily foldable at all times. If it has a mechanism that prevents folding, it's a lock knife (or for legal purposes, a fixed blade) The Court of Appeal (REGINA - v - DESMOND GARCIA DEEGAN 1998) upheld the Harris ruling stating that "folding was held to mean non-locking". No leave to appeal was granted.

This suggests that lock knives are not offensive weapons per se. They are in fact a fixed blade so cannot have a cutting edge of more than 3".

Therefore the small lock knife shown is legal.

Mick

Mick, what you will find is that a "lock knife" is not an offensive weapon under the act (unless intent can be proved) However a lock knife will come into play under Sec 139 CJA (points and blades).

Ultimately, Tte law courts decide if you were to be punished or not, my point (no pun) was to advise Jimi not to take it out or get caught with it...........as it WOULD get you nicked!

Good haul, like the axe head particularly. But Jim, what is it with you and wirelesses (as I insist on calling them)? You seem to average one a week, and over the season...

p.s. got it :idea: you can tune them, but you can't sharpen them. And if you can't sharpen them, you can't turn them into a sharpening thread. That's it, isn't it.

condeesteso":1zqfjzzy said:
Good haul, like the axe head particularly. But Jim, what is it with you and wirelesses (as I insist on calling them)? You seem to average one a week, and over the season...

p.s. got it :idea: you can tune them, but you can't sharpen them. And if you can't sharpen them, you can't turn them into a sharpening thread. That's it, isn't it.

HA! Booty mate...pure money. I don't have them anymore...they were turned into cash on Sunday! Good old Annie! More money for tools...except she went shopping first...but I was still £3 in profit even afterwards! Enough to buy another three! :mrgreen:

Ah...yes...the axe...now..I think you will be impressed...more on that later tonight. I can't wait to show you what a few pence..part of a workbench offcut....and some whittling can do!

Later!

Jim

jimi43":d4d6jcwu said:
Ah...yes...the axe...now..I think you will be impressed...more on that later tonight. I can't wait to show you what a few pence..part of a workbench offcut....and some whittling can do!

have you carved Douglas a welsh love spoon? :lol: :lol:

adidat

Back