Working wet wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowry_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
I had wood delivered at the start of the week for an open-frame woodshed in the garden (WBP ext ply and treated carcassing). Its been sitting out in the elements all week - and the elements have been predominantly wet.

I'd planned to build this weekend, just wondered if there are any safety issues in working wet wood with a circular saw. Also, any issues for the tool itself eg is it worth taking the blade off afterwards and giving everything a good dry and wipe with oil?

Thanks
Drew

you need to be cerfull of the timber closing and jaming the saw or forcing it backwards out of the timber if it is really wet but I would not expect the timber to be that wet after only a week

If you want to dismantle and clean/oil thats probly sensible but I never have but then I would normally be using the tools again within a couple of days

I'm only cross-cutting, mainly 2 x 3's. The ply is going on full-size. Presumably kick-back is more like when ripping?

Drew

definitely more like lay when ripping but not unhear of on cross cutting just be aware of possible risk

But good luck with the build and hope you have no problems

Back