Working out what this drainage fixture is

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am looking at doing a side extension and there are a few access points that will be under the extension. I am trying to work out if they need to be moved and if they can remain and something else then created to tap into it.

I got a couple of pictures of what I'm looking at

The bit i am interested in is the one with the top off. Looking in it, it was full of cobwebs and after removing them i saw it was a sealed unit and there was not holes in it
There is one at the back right of the picture (near the gutter down pipe) that is that same however this has some water in it, again it is a sealed unit so I think the water is just rain water as the seal for the slab lid to the plastic is not that tight.

In front of that is the rod access point.

From what I can tell I will need to shift the rod point so it can be accessed outside but the other two bits I am not sure on, I'm not sure if they are some sort of way to splice into the line.

A few more pics are below, I looked online but cannot see a similar type of fitting.

IMG_20160803_184505219_zpsnpb8xnyl.jpg

IMG_20160803_184430624_zpslbkuodsa.jpg

IMG_20160803_184427293_zps96wl7hsz.jpg

Cheers
Mark

How could I tell? I believe I'm on mains as we had our manhole cover at the front of the property replaced by Thames water. And there is a blue box at the end of out our road (about 30 Meyers away) that I believe is a pump for the sewage

One thing to note is that we do have a soak away I. The back garden. I dont think it is used though and when we bought the house nothing could be found as to who's it was

Some sort of bottle gulley, does the centre part look like it might pull out?

You could always send the pics to Marley's Technical Service Dept.
01622 852695
email : [email protected]

If you're on mains, building control will most likely want things moved. For private you can get away with much more.

Hi Naz, I will shoot them an email and see what they say.

Ok wuffles, so it would be a question for building regs as to if i can cover it up or not. I will try and shoot them off an email as well

cheers
Mark

Yes, it was explained to me by our building controller (private, not council) that because we own the exit route for the drainage into our bio digester we can do what we like with it. Sealed cover inside the property is no problem. If we were on mains sewers, it's not really ours and the chances of us getting away with it were minimal.

See what building control say anyway, you're paying them for advice, may as well use the service :)

Edit: sealed cover inside the property isn't for the bio digester btw, I'm not mental. Just for a junction of around 4 waste pipes. Would have been a nightmare to move.

Hope it works out OK for you - my mother had a very small extension done about twenty years ago, just incorporating what was a porch into the kitchen and the extension was £7000. The groundworks, because of the drains were £8000.

It's not designed to give access to the waste below by punching out the bottom of that pot if required at a later date is it?

That's what I was thinking woodpig, from the look of it, it would suggest that. I emailed Marley so hopfully they confirm the theory and it makes it easier to get rid of the waste.

If your waste belongs to one of the big water companies then go on their website and read their terms and conditions regarding building near or over sewers. Different companies have slightly different policies and charges for doing this.
I think building over a pumped sewer pipe was a big no from one of the websites I was reading this weekend.

Our stuff is not pumped its when it gets to the main intake where everyone else is that it is pumped. I'll look at contacting them and see what they say maybe get one of there people out for some info.

You may have already done this, but whatever the outcome of your emails, etc, it may be worth running water from each point in your property, including rainwater, one place at a time, and see what, if anything comes past each point.

At least then you have empirically tested it all, not just relied on ifs, buts and maybes.

gregmcateer":3sv2tcnn said:
At least then you have empirically tested it all, not just relied on ifs, buts and maybes.

Blessed is the power of the internet where thorough examination and testing of drainage is paramount but asbestos removal is just, ''meh, you'll probably be fine, just do it''. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back