Workbench for under £30 WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the vice ,
vice.jpg

I took it off the bench as soon as i got the bench from a school so never used it . There seems to be the clamp or housing for the bars and flat missing at the back . Ive turned the handle and it closes but didnt seem to open , because it wasnt mounted on the bench ?
Can anyone see anything missing ?
Im sure Record will have spares anyway .

looks the same as mine mate. Best thing to do is give it a good, GOOD clean, oil and it should work fine.

Mine came up like new and works a treat now :lol:

Andy

At least the bottom half, and probably both halves of the nut are missing by the looks of it, as (from your description) is the yoke at the end of the guide bars that holds the end of the lead screw. Without them, the jaws are going nowhere.

Edit: confidence fading about the missing nut and heading for cellar to check what it would look like from that angle...

Thats the word the yoke is missing . It closes by winding the bar so all is not lost ( i hope )
Byron maybe its best to get a price from record for a yoke before you waste your time picking it up ..... but its still worth spending a few quid on IMHO . And if i didnt have 5 working vices id spend the money on it myself :lol:

Just the yoke is missing I think. What I thought the nut would look like from that angle isn't what it looks like. And, looking back, you said Ive turned the handle and it closes but didnt seem to open. That means you have a nut, I think. The opposite (opening) way the screw just trys to (and does) unscrew itself from the face of the vice, right? That's the [effect of the] missing yoke.

Another quick update.

I've added a top to the bench, not very thick though, its from an canteen table. The budget still stands at £19 as I cancelled my order of the vice screw from axminster as a kind family member is going to be donating a nice 'quick-release' carpenters model.

So, it leaves me with £11 still and I need to find some sheet material for the top and the sliding tool bins. I'm going to have to break my budget on this as I can't find anything decent, with the weather being wet anything that has been thrown out or discarded at builders site is sodden and manky.

I'll add some more photo's in the next coming days as I complete the top and the sliding tool bins.

Try a timber yard that has a panel/wall saw , they will have a stack of offcuts they normally give away or charge very little for . What sort of sizes do you need ?

What joint did you use between the lower rails and the legs?

'cause it's going to have to resist all the planing forces.

You might consider adding some reinforcement.

BugBear

Finally, I have an update on this project. After a mini hiatus during the xmas break, I got the workbench almost finished.

You can see in the photo that i've added a quick release vice - this was donated to me for nowt, and with the money left in the budget I got some MDF to make the drawers. I've got almost all my hand tools in these drawers. They will be faced with pine to match the rest of the bench.

I'm considering adding another layer of ply for the top, but I will use it for a while first to see if it really needs it. Overall i'm really happy with it, it's slightly higher than a regular carpentry bench, coming just above my waist, as opposed to just below it - this saves my back when planing ;)

83427979_df53f0c182_o.jpg

So, the bench was built within budget and within time, it's by no means perfect, but it allows me to get on with other projects. Maybe later this year i'll start to build a really good top-notch one.

Latest posts

Back