Work some magic on your Chiwanese drill press for £25

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
Mine's a greeny blue Axminster pedestal machine, with a supposed capacity of 19mm in steel. Drilled all at once, anything over about 10mm in steel showed definite signs of triangularity. 13mm was about the limit provided you started at about 6mm and crept up to final size in 1mm steps. It had no trouble drilling in wood, but the end of the bit described a small circle making it difficult to start on target. I'm surprised I put up with it for so long. Recently it began to growl, so I replaced the 4 bearings at the front of the machine (2 under the drive pulley, 2 on the quill). WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

All the slop has gone, virtually run out free even at drill tip, runs at 3000 rpm for small drills without sounding like it might self destruct (1800 was about the limit before). Much better performance in steel (although the table mounting is too flexible to drill 19mm). Amazing what £25 of bearings will do! So, the machining of the cast iron is not too bad, but the bearings were absolute CR*P. Why didn't I do this before!

I've stopped wishing I had something better, so worth a punt if you're not happy with your Asian Drill press. I might even touch up the paint!

I've done some work on my cheapo drill press as well, replaced the chuck, improved the depth stop, replaced the belt which was getting tatty, but I didn't think you could change the ball bearings, I must look into doing that. Who supplied your bearings :?:

Bearingboys.co.uk Quick and reliable, 1/2 the price of local factor for major brands, used them quite a bit. They also do a "bargain range", but I didn't use these.

My first attempt to improve things - cogged V belts, new chuck/adaptor. Slight reduction in run out but still a serious problem. Can't promise you the same result with bearings, but must be worth a try?

Latest posts

Back