Work shop footware.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Can anyone recommend comfortable boots for the work shop.

What do you ware? Any comments.

Are steel toecaps a must to guard against falling chisels, or are good leather boots adequate protection?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I like Caterpillar Holtons but they take a couple days to get comfy... How about those safety trainers you can buy?

I use the Aldi/lidl steel cap trainers. Very comfortable for all day wear even with a bunion on one foot.
About £15 a pair when they have them on their special offers
Bob

I recently bought a pair of these and they are excellent with composite toecap and pretty comfortable for me.

Very cheap as well.

I got some £30 DeWalt boots from Costco. Really good, even on hot days.

I used to suffer with my feet and ankles when I was working around the home. Thing of the past with these boots. They have good stiff soles which make them especially good on ladders, but also good when kneeling down. You can sit on the heels without screwing up your feet.

These are the ones.

I worked in an airport ages ago, Youre given boots with composite toecaps, Lighter than steel and dont set off alarms!.

I think you'd be very unlucky to have a chisel falling from bench height go straight through your shoes and into your foot, Wear what you like and what feels comfortable if its not for employment purposes (your workshop,Your rules!) Youre more likely to get a screw or nail stick through the sole of your shoes, I'd rather have a pair with some sort of barrier underneath.

I've always stuck with Makita and Dickes 'safety trainers' and find them very comfortable. They're also steel-toed for extra protection. Actually, I think Dickies manufacturer the boots for Makita to stick their badge on them... :roll: :)

Always wear leather boots with thick soles - they allow your feet to breath. Can't stand the trainer type. Warm in the winter despite the concrete floor. About £20 from the local shoe shop - just as good as the expensive, high-fashion stuff.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

bluezephyr":1eenr3tq said:
I think you'd be very unlucky to have a chisel falling from bench height go straight through your shoes and into your foot, Wear what you like and what feels comfortable if its not for employment purposes (your workshop,Your rules!) Youre more likely to get a screw or nail stick through the sole of your shoes, I'd rather have a pair with some sort of barrier underneath.

I had a fairly blunt chisel fall off a windowsill and make a dent almost all the way through some thick leather Timberland once. Glad I didn't have anything lighter on.

OPJ":1z8omm56 said:
I've always stuck with Makita and Dickes 'safety trainers' and find them very comfortable. They're also steel-toed for extra protection. Actually, I think Dickies manufacturer the boots for Makita to stick their badge on them... :roll: :)

Me too, have had a pair of Makita's for a few years now, can't seem to kill them off, and very comfortable.

Wouldn't use anything without steel toecaps, even a heavy lump of wood landing on your foot can be unbelievably painful let alone anything sharp, not that I would know :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

paulm":pphc8q7w said:
even a heavy lump of wood landing on your foot can be unbelievably painful

Cheers, Paul :D
Tell me about it Paul...the bruising has gone down now, but I discarded the walking stick for West Dean! :^o :^o :whistle: :lol: - Rob

Doc Martin shoes (steel toe capped). I'm on my 2nd pair in 5 years, and find them very comfortable to wear - all day. I've tried other brands but cannot match the comfort.

As for dropping timber - an 8x4 sheet (on edge) will do a fair bit of damage to your toes, even dropped from a low height.

Sorry for disappearing last night. Had problems with PC.

Thanks for all your suggestions. It looks like what ever I get they will have composite toecaps.

I'd like to apologise for my post about flip-flops all those years ago. I know I can be a bad influence, but I hope I'm not indirectly responsible for any subsequent foot injuries.

:twisted:

Gill

The most important thing for me about workshop shoes is the ability to put them on and take them off without using 2 hands........as inevitably I seem to find myself carrying something on every journey to or from the shed.

Next on the list is comfort.

Safety? Well, there are never any bits of wood with nails or screws in them on my floor, and I have never ever dropped a tool on my foot..............so very low on my list of priorities. In fact, it never entered my head!

So, I have a pair of slip-on leather training shoe things from Cotton Traders.

Mike

Yes I just wear a pair of trainers. I've always said that when they wear out, I'll replace them with steel toe trainers, but they just won't die.

and I don't really intend on lifting anything heavy enough to damage my feet anyway ;)

I too seem to have a pair safety boots that just won't die - a pair of Cats. But now I just use them for when working on cars, etc.

Bought a new pair of Timberland Splitrocks (with steel toe) - fancied something a bit less industrial looking.

Latest posts

Back