Woodworking TV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think we need a new programme - there must be about 6 series of New Yankee Workshop hat have never been shown over here.

Ten years ago Norm was a phenominum. He single handedly got me back into woodworking after a twenty year lay-off and for a long time after setting up my own professional shop middle-aged male customers would engage me in 'Norm talk' for hours. Considering that Sky and cable coverage was relatively small at the time Norm's audience and following was massive. He captured the imagination of rank novice and long-served cratsman alike. A colleague of mine locally who is ten times the cabinetmaker that Norm will ever be absolutely loves his shows...

Then Discovery blew it.

For whatever reason they stopped showing NYW and replaced him with fishing.

Now everyone's forgotten him. I still have my signed photo in pride of place above my bench, though.

Norm is and always will be the King.

Brad

I think you would need a broader "brush" to attract a wider audience. For me a combination of tools, technique and projects would be best. An example might be a simple dovetailed box. Identify the tools you need - saw,chisel marking equipment - discuss alternative ways in terms of both equipment and joints. Scope for tool sharpening, wood preparation - but not every programme - inlays, veneer etc and all this for just a box!! I think, as others have suggested, that something achievable would be best - but I would also love to watch a real pro making something.

Who is this Norm guy?..am I missing something 8-[ I've never seen any of his stuff, or anyone else's for that matter

What I'd like to see is a mainstream programme/series on the Beeb of about an hour dealing with how top craftsmen (and women) make their stuff and not just woodwork either. F'rinstance it could look at cabinetmaking, potters, silversmiths...even taylors (look at the cost of a bespoke Saville Row suit :shock: ) I don't suppose for one minute that it would be popular viewing, but it'd be a change from celebrity bloody cooks :evil: on the box - Rob

Stuff I like on the telly: (in this vein)

Restoration Man with Alan Herd
What little of Norm I've seen
Biker Build Off
The Car/Bike/MG etc is born series
Salvage Squad
Grand Designs
John Revel show
Wreck Rescue (just about)
Fred Dibnah

What I don't like:

Anything with Tommy Walsh
The effing Salvager
The shouty bits of American Chopper and Hotrod
Overhaulin
Bloody fishing programmes
The Restorer Guy
Chop Shop

Agree with Tom that the pace can be slower and you don't have to finish each project in 30 mins or an hour

BradNaylor":1zuza85a said:
I still have my signed photo in pride of place above my bench, though.

Ditto! Norm got me into making stuff - why on earth Discovery dropped the ball with the NYW is quite beyond me.
Philly :D

I agree with some posters that the size of the studio "workshop" doesn't really matter, its the contents that need to be "affordable". Even if this means using different qualities of equipment to illustrate ease of use and repeatability.

I like the Wood Whisper' approach to projects and I think this could be expanded to cover more details. Perhaps the shows could be based on the current woodworking curriculum which would encourage schoolchildren to watch. Maybe split a project over a few shows thus being able to concentrate on the technical details.

I'm sure there are enough material out there to "cut and paste" the best bits into a new show. Lets face it Woodworking is a vast subject and it should be viable to produce a large number of shows.

Latest posts

Back