Woodworking measuring units

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But when you buy a ball of the stuff and you find both ends sticking out, how do you know which one is the start and which one is the end :? :?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

you don't you just learn how tommy cooper's magic worked :lol: :lol:

actually i always thought the length of a piece of string depended upon whether you were making packages or not :roll:

since the length then had to include the loops :twisted:
and is generally never long enough :roll:

paul :wink:

The start is always in your left hand and the end is always in your right hand or vice versa..... but whatever you do NEVER fold your arms it will confuse the issue :lol:
edit
further note to self must think AND type even faster

oh come on you want to do two things at once, we all know woodworkers are not capable of multitasking :lol:

that's why we need so many clamps 8)

paul :wink:

DomValente":y3vzhgim said:
I've forgotten what this thread was about

I was just thinking that :)

I realised this afternoon that I officially prefer inches. I went to get some screws off the shelf and there were all the metric ones where I had taken a felt tip pen and written the imperial equivalent on all the boxes :!:

regards

Brian

Since we all seem to have lost the plot I thought I'd add my 3 halfpence worth (another ancient unit!) about driving on the left.

I believe that originally we rode (horses) on the left because you then had your sword arm on the offside to defend yourself if necessary.

Napoleon (who was left-handed) decreed that France should do the opposite and presumably extended this to countries which were part of his empire.

There is a lengthy dissertation about this on Wikipedia if anyone is interested including the fact that Hitler made Czechoslavakia change when he invaded.

On the km/ miles discussion, Ireland had distances in km and speed limits in mph until a couple of years ago and many rural signposts still use miles.

Another interesting thing is that we use the word "driver" for someone who propels a car which seems to be from when you drove a team of horses whereas the French use "chauffeur" which I always assumed meant the man who stoked the fire (on a steam carriage?) I wonder what our various other nationalities could tell us.

i was born in 1983, so they only taught me in metric at school. sadly, due the level that maths is taught at these days, i can't manage fractions too well, so i'm forced to use mm for anything more accurate than to-the-nearest-inch. i'd rather use inches, and i feel more comfortable gauging sizes in imperial, but can't really get my head around 7/16th and so on.

if it was up to me, we'd switch back to imperial. in fact, i was reading up about imperial recently, and i discovered that Scotland had it's own units, comparable to English ones, but generally slightly larger - 25.54mm in a Scots inch, compared to 25.4mm in the English version, or 1.0016". ideally, i'd use Scots measures, but that would probably be taking it too far, since nobody else uses them. probably would have much luck ordering two Ells of timber :lol:

Ratter":1yg03h3k said:
Since we all seem to have lost the plot I thought I'd add my 3 halfpence worth (another ancient unit!) about driving on the left.

I believe that originally we rode (horses) on the left because you then had your sword arm on the offside to defend yourself if necessary.

Napoleon (who was left-handed) decreed that France should do the opposite and presumably extended this to countries which were part of his empire.........
I'm led to believe that when Nigeria changed they did it in two stages....odd numbered reg numbers & HGVs, buses on one day even the next.......information from an ex Nigerian Police officer who may be partial to a wind up now and again :oops: (just in case)

Is there an easy to follow conversion chart for imperial and metric screw sizes PLEASE I have both, in seperate containers thankfully ](*,)

Back