Woodworking Magazine download edition happiness \o/

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aye, trouble is you can only pay with a credit card, likewise with Fine Woodworking (suprise), s'alright if you have one I s'pose or is it churlish to want to pay with something other than AMEX, Mastercard or Visa.

Cheers Mike

Trouble with a PDF is that with Woodworking the actual mag's quality of production is part of the pleasure.

Cheers, Alf

yeah much prefer a mag to a download.

They must be running out of money though....

selly":apwlyalw said:
They must be running out of money though....

Well, t'blog says there will be a printed magazine, but that you'll have to order via the website; it won't be available via newsagents/booksellers etc.

Since Woodworking doesn't carry advertising, I'm sure the financial position is very tight. I'm happy to put up with quite a bit of inconvenience as long as they keep publishing :)

Chris Schwarz was very gentlemanly and sent me an email after I posted something inane on his blog confirming that back issues will also be available for download in the next couple of weeks too.

He sent me a mail too, after I moaned mildly about not having amex or visa, saying that they are looking at other payment methods, specifically Paypal.
Mike

Still only credit card payment though alas.
Cheers Mike

\i tried to order two copies of the mag for $12 and on checkout they were going to add $8 for shipping!!!
bit much for a download?
so i cancelled the order as I thought that is a bit of a cheek!

did i do something wrong ?

mr":ioowjxv7 said:
Still only credit card payment though alas.
Cheers Mike

Curious to know what you have against credit cards, Mike? We treat ours like an extension of the current account as we always budget so that we can pay it off in full each month. The freebies that we get with cards like the BA Amex means that we get, for example, two Club class tickets to Tokyo gratis.

Apologies for going off topic.

Mike,

I was same as you planned to buy a few months worth but backed off when I saw the delivery charge.

lurker":1baz954z said:
Mike,

I was same as you planned to buy a few months worth but backed off when I saw the delivery charge.

I have emailed them asking them how they justify the charge.
I wonder if i will get a reply?

they wont sell many copies with that policy, if they just increased the price it would be more ethical but to try to creep in an extra charge for what? nothing! thats what you expect from most of the big companies and crooks lol

Mike

I just downloaded one edition and saw that they added the delivery charge. When I emailed to object they immediately replied to say that it was an error and of course they wouldn't charge delivery on a download

Great magazine by the way - I printed it on my colour laser at work

Ah well thats ok but i'll still wait to see if they reply to me and they should sort out the error on their website cos they are going to lose subcriptions if they dont,

Mike

They have replied saying i wont be charged even if it shows that i will - so i think i will try and see :)

Roger Sinden":h0vc2tnq said:
Curious to know what you have against credit cards, Mike?
Just a personal thing involving massive debt and lifetime misery :) wouldn't have one in the house these days. I haven't had a credit card for a few years now and as I say no intention of ever having one again. It does cause people a bit of trouble - checking into hotels and they ask to swipe the card for eg but there you go.
Cheers Mike

My download was sucessful and the magazine is very good; this my first experience of this particular title. The $4 delivery charge appeared on my invoice but I have just checked with my credit card and they have only charged the $6, equating to £3.03. Good value in my opinion.

Mark H

Back