Woodworking Courses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeliGav

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been on any woodworking courses, ive seen plenty of courses advertised online eg axeminister and boat building college etc etc... Could people give a brief description of which courses they have attended and how they have got on?

HeliGav":2xklanzs said:
Has anybody been on any woodworking courses, ive seen plenty of courses advertised online eg axeminister and boat building college etc etc... Could people give a brief description of which courses they have attended and how they have got on?

About five years ago I did a City and Guilds evening course in Carpentry and joinery. This is for the building trade side of things. I found it thoroughly enjoyable and learnt lots of useful things. There were introductions into using a variety of hand and power tools. How to hang and fit out doors, kitchens, flooring, stud walls, making windows, fitting windows, roofing (cut rafter, truss roofs) skirting etc, etc. Not cheap these days as funding has dried up unless you're under 19. Good instruction from proper chippies.

John Lloyd - veneering course - excellent

Peter Sefton - Modern Finishing course - excellent

Peter Sefton - spindle moulder course - excellent

You can find descriptions of the courses on their respective websites.

Roger Berwick (alias Dodge) of this forum runs brilliant 1:1 training at his workshop.
The advantage of the 1:1 is that Roger can tailor any training / instruction to those areas where you need it, and avoid those areas were you don't (so as you gain maximum benefit from your time with him). Rather than just looking at skills in isolation, Roger works with you to actually build a project you can take home - in my case a console / hall table.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/lacewood-brown-oak-hall-table-t64673.html
I know that Dave 123 will also highly recommend Roger and I'm sure he will come in on this post if he sees it.
I don't know whether Roger has any boat building experience but I would certainly give him a shout either by PM on this forum or via his website - http://www.rogerberwick.com

Glynne

RogerS":1y5s3wus said:
John Lloyd - veneering course - excellent

Peter Sefton - Modern Finishing course - excellent

Peter Sefton - spindle moulder course - excellent

You can find descriptions of the courses on their respective websites.

+1 For Peter Sefton

+1 for Roger Berwick

I have had training from both, and they are both excellent.

I did the full boatbuilding course at IBTC (just looked at their website — it was a lot cheaper then :shock: ). I loved it— it's heaven for anyone who is into wooden boats as there is so much going on there, many different types and sizes of boats in build, and you get to play with all of them. They aim to encourage the student to make their own decisions and get on with the job, which I think some people experienced as a bit unsupportive, but I appreciated being trusted to do that, and the confidence it gave has been very useful since. I feel very lucky and privileged to have had that experience — definitely one of the best things I have done in my life.

If it is more of a hobby angle you are interested in, they also do a shorter 12 week course concentrating on clinker dinghies, which is also good, though you won't want to leave at the end of it....

On the furniture front I found John Lloyd's courses very helpful in filling in a few gaps, especially the veneering and the finishing courses. John is a good teacher, the courses are very well structured and he fits in loads, teaching straightforward and pragmatic approaches to things, without unnecessary mystification.

Regarding other furniture making courses, I've known several people who did David Savage's course, and they all had some frustrations but they nevertheless all came out making to a very high standard, which I guess says something about it. I think he now does short courses too. It's one to consider if you are into the contemporary fine furniture thing. I think this course is particularly strong on the design side — people are encouraged to do proper, resolved designs; I think Savage himself is more of a designer than a maker these days, and that shows in the work of the students....

was gearing myself up to do a course at with axeminister and only just realised they only do them in devon! thought the courses were run by every store dooohh!!!! MONG!

searched the internet for around the staffordshire area for courses, pipper all around!

heligav
I have been attending weekly afternoon classes with Chris Tribe in Ilkley, (and before that a one off dovetailing day in the summer and some informal help with sharpening an old Disston saw). Chris is very flexible, and able to suit his help and tuition to what a student needs.
He has helped me gain a better perspective on my progress with my skills. I'd recommend him.
Cheers,
Martin

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it was worth reviving because it could be a useful reference for beginners. I’m hoping other hobbyists will add their experiences to this thread.

I did the Fine Tuning Hand Tools course at Axminster Skills Centre in Sittingbourne, Kent. It was well structured, with great instruction from Peter Hibben. I thought there might be a hard sell from Axminster to buy tools, but this wasn’t the case. (There’s a 5% discount on tools, but no pressure to buy anything.) The atmosphere in the Sittingbourne skills centre was friendly and fun. The instructor was clearly passionate about woodwork and passing on his skills.

The course gave me good instruction and supervised experience in tuning my planes and chisels. Some things you can’t get from reading or YouTube, like what the right amount of pressure feels like. The course has proven a very worthwhile investment, as I’ve been confidently sharpening chisels and plane blades ever since. Supervised experience of lapping and fine tuning a plane was extremely useful too.

I’d happily go back to Axminster in Sittingbourne for another course when funds and time permit.

Thanks Andy!

Alongside Newbie Neil's list, I was hoping that people might add their experiences of courses here. It could be useful to see the differences in teaching style or syllabus between similar-sounding courses, for example.

Back