Woodworking and YouTube and Peter Millard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've been watching some of the American YouTube channels and found some quite good. Then I came across an English one, Peter Millard.

I now realise he is a contributor here so I don't want to embarrass him but I do want to say what a great job he is doing.

I love his relaxed style and he, "Just gets on with it'.

So, if you haven't looked at his channel yet it's worth a look.

Well done Peter.

(By the way I don't know Peter so not trying to promote his channel I just like it)

Mick

Thanks Mick!

I'm happy to hear that my delivery comes across as 'relaxed' - in reality it's anything but! I've been a member on UKW far longer than the 9 months I've been on YouTube, so I've gone out of my way not to promote my channel here, other than a general link in my signature.

As my 'back-catalogue' has grown though, If someone asks a question here that I've answered in a vid. I'll mention it in response, but not link to it directly - that seems to be OK with the mods and members alike.

Anyhoo Mick, thanks again for your kind comments, and for anyone else, please do check out my channel (link in the sig!) and don't forget to share, like and subscribe :)

Cheers, Peter

Hi,
Also like to say I enjoy Peter's channel and really like the format. I've done a few built-ins in previous houses and now tackling one for my daughters room. Some very useful tips I've picked up from the nice well paced delivery. Particularly like the actual installs into real homes and the sorts of issues you find like oddly angled walls and sockets in odd places.

Look forward to each new one.

Hi Peter,

I've not been on here for along time! I watched all your videos this week :lol: and I've pulled myself out of a "woodworking slump" as I was really inspired by them.

I suffer from PTSD, and woodwork was my escape, but I lost my way over the past few years between work and life in general. I can't seem to find many "UK" based woodworkers I want to watch, but I saw your video for the door construction with loose tenons, and was amazed!! I've never seen them done that way.

I think it's very relative to hobby woodworkers, that good work can be produced in a small shop, that's what initially struck me about your content, it's not an immaculate all singing workshop, strewn with the finest of equipment, but more a snapshot of most hobbyist shops out there
Also, you have a real honesty about any "Ooops" moments, which is nice to see, showing that even someone knocking out multiples like you don't always have that "Norm Abramesque" perfect start to finish, ups n downs at the ready. And I'm always amused by your conversation with your cameras when you're asking if you're in view, or is the mic on :lol: all very humble, and comedic, without trying
I'd love to see much more, wardrobes, cabinets etc, maybe even door hanging, kitchen cabinet fitting, the sort off stuff DIYers are wanting to do themselves.
A video is so much more informative, perhaps you could poll subscribers in the future for what they'd like to see? and really do consider some longer videos? I appreciate it's a lot to juggle with building, recording, editing, but your format works........for me anyway.

I'm a subscriber, and I'm looking forward to you future items. Keep up the good work

Regards

Jed

I also enjoy Peter's videos on Youtube; I only came across them recently.

Nice, relaxed style. I know he's on a 12 month experiment with Youtube to see how it all goes, and I truly admire the amount of video editing that he must put into each one.

He has over 10,800 subscribers to his channel within 10 months or so - so the interest/quality is there to grow. Well done Peter!

Keep doing instructional videos Peter you are really good at them! get yourself on patreon.

I'm another happy subscriber. It's not the sort of woodworking I have ever done, and I'm not about to invest in a track saw, router and dust extraction kit, but I find it fascinating to see and have explained the quick systematic way Peter goes about his MDF built-ins and other work. I really hope the videos are working as an advert for his services too, as he is clearly a perfectionist even though he's working to time and budget constraints.

If I lived in London and wanted the sort of thing he makes, I'd hire him without hesitation.

Thanks again everyone! Really good to hear that my videos seem to be striking the right notes. And if you guys enjoy the mistakes, then there's an absolute howler coming up this week, no spoilers... :/

Nobody's more surprised (and delighted) than I am that the channel has grown as fast as it has, and I'd like to say thanks to everyone who's taken the time to watch any of the vids, or subscribed; there is some amazing content on YouTube and it is humbling that folks choose to watch mine - and how! Over 4 million minutes watched in the last 10 months, 2 million of those in the last couple of months, 900+ subscribers in the last 7 days. Astonishing.

In answer to some of the questions raised, I have considered longer videos, but the analytics suggest that ~10 minutes is the sweet spot. Also, 45 minutes of HD video would be a pretty hefty file to be slinging around! I am on Patreon, have been for a few weeks, and there's a link in the description of all the recent YouTube videos, as well as on the home page of my http://www.10minuteworkshop.com website.

And sadly, no, no paid work forthcoming (so far) from my YouTube experiment! Didn't expect any, so hardly a surprise!

Thanks again - new videos out every Friday at noon :D

Every time I catch a glance of your YouTube profile pic, I think you have a beret on. No idea why. I'm just odd.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just subscribed too.

I do love to watch other people build stuff, it's very relaxing!

You join Matthias Wandel and TheWoodWhisperer on my go to list ;-)

I too recently found Peter - maybe YouTube have changed their algorithms for showing what you might like and we're all seeing it pop up?

Anyway it's all good except you're called Peter! Do you have to be called Peter to have a wood work channel in the U.K.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the algorithms go up a gear when you hit 10k subs, plus when you get a popular video (my 'clamping squares' was a surprise hit) that popularity puts you higher up the 'recommended' list - virtuous circle, and all that. Hit 11k subs last night, woo hoo!

And yes, you absolutely need to be called Peter ;)

Another happy subscriber here. It really is a breath of fresh air to see a British woodworker on YT working in a normal workshop with a few good quality tools. There are so many Americans with enormous pristine workshops (or should I say Woodshops?) and every piece of electric powered gadgetry going.

The only criticism I have though is I really could have done with seeing the video on fitting wardrobes together on a wobbly wall sooner! I had a right job doing that in my own overly complicated method, yours is so much easier and I'll definitely be doing it that way in future! Keep it up please Peter.

Oh final thought, please don't do what some channels do and just make something for the sake of making a video when the item in question has been done a hundred times before.

Cheers Will

Back