Woodwork book for beginners: hand tools only

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for Schwarz's workbench design book.

I started just before Christmas with some plywood clamped to an old B&D workmate as my 'bench' and bought a copy of the book since it really wasn't working!

I have now built a bench (still adding some finishing touches though) based on the various deigns in Chris's book. It's only softwood but it is sooo much better than a workmate.

Unfortunately it was built using more than just hand tools ...
bench.jpg

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 122
I have been very interested in Paul Sellers web courses https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/ I like his ethos of only needing a few tools and everything he does is by hand. His online course is no more expensive than an evening class. The only reason I have not signed up is that I was given a "real" evening class as a christmas present and it runs for a few more weeks.

H.

gedwood":144x6ty0 said:
One of the first books I would strongly recommend to any body iS. The Technique of furniture making by Ernest Joyce My edition was revused by the late great Alan Peters. This book will tell you almost everything you need to know After 30 years use mine now need replacing as its looking a little dog eared. If you want a book on the phylosophy of woodworking then. Get a copy of The Cabinetmakers note book By James Krenof He to is sadly no longer with us but between these two great masters of our field you will learn enough to keep you going for years But in my humble opinion thse two greats were possibly the best there have been Joyces is well recognised as the woodworkers bible. I hope this helps GEDWOOD

I definitely need something to go with the Wearing book. It's certainly very basic for a lot of people on here but for the likes of myself I really need something like... 'The Remedial Woodworker' :lol:

Is the Joyce book a long term investment not really aimed at beginners?

Col":144x6ty0 said:
+1 for Schwarz's workbench design book.

I started just before Christmas with some plywood clamped to an old B&D workmate as my 'bench' and bought a copy of the book since it really wasn't working!

I have now built a bench (still adding some finishing touches though) based on the various deigns in Chris's book. It's only softwood but it is sooo much better than a workmate.

Unfortunately it was built using more than just hand tools ...

Hand tools or not, that is good work Sir. I'd be putting that bench in a glass case if I made it.

Does the Schwarz book cater for the beginner woodworker or does it require a bit of knowledge to really start a project? Are there any designs strictly using hand tools only?

Halo Jones":144x6ty0 said:
I have been very interested in Paul Sellers web courses https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/ I like his ethos of only needing a few tools and everything he does is by hand. His online course is no more expensive than an evening class. The only reason I have not signed up is that I was given a "real" evening class as a christmas present and it runs for a few more weeks.

H.

I've taken a look at the board for a bench he makes and I like his style. That's not a bad idea at all doing an online course as there appears to be nobody in my area or classes for teaching woodwork. What kind of projects does he do on his courses? Can the beginner really follow his plans? Does he really only use a few hand tools?

As far as I can tell Paul's courses are £10/month. There is no minimum term so if you don't like it you can just cancel. You should also check out his youtube channel as he goes through a whole series on how to build a workbench. Will give you more idea on if you like his teaching style and approach. As for minimum of tools you can always sign up to his web page and have a look.

I should add that I have no connection with Paul. I just happened to stumble on his websites and liked what I saw. I should also add that I have yet to give him any money in terms of signing up for his courses!

H.

The Paul Sellers book is really excellent. He has made a lot of you tube instructional films and if you sign up to his blog you get loads of useful information too.
He won't waste your money on tools you do not need.
He has practical approaches that are fast and safe.
Get a few Narex chisels, a diamond stone or scary sharpening kit from Workshop heaven and second hand saw off ebay and you can start making some fantastic woodwork.
Paul sellers expalins how to keep them all razor sharp in his book.

TheWizardofOdds":1x0tcmvs said:

Does the Schwarz book cater for the beginner woodworker or does it require a bit of knowledge to really start a project? Are there any designs strictly using hand tools only?

I have the later version of the book and would have said that it's suitable for anyone - the first bench he takes you through the build is actually a Roubo bench 'by hand' and even though the later builds do refer to the use of power tools (drill press, router, planer, etc ) they're really just 'time saving' uses of the machines. Building a bench certainly also guided me as to which tools to get first. I avoided the need to do lots of laminating for the top by using the largest stock I could get hold of - my top is two lengths of 9" by 3", with a removable central length of 4"x4" (2 lengths of 2"by4" laminated) which inverts as a planing stop. I also minimised the spend on vices - two old Record ones from car boots. My bench is basically a Roubo with a couple of modifications and could have been made by hand (especially if I was younger!)

Col

Some more good books here, on the basics of woodwork-and more-olde skool style :)

good-woodworking-books-for-less-money-t67921.html

This one is excellent for a beginner -: Woodworking joints - William fairham

Speeder 1987 has suggested 3 which are excellent foundation stuff

Cabinet construction - J Brough
Woodworking joints - William fairham
Woodworking tools and how to use them - William fairham

I have only just started to look into doing a bit of woodwork and recently picked up the Paul Sellers book Working Wood 1&2, there is some very useful information in there and his blog and YouTube channel are easily accessible and full of gold. Best of luck.

Halo Jones":8etjmjmo said:
As far as I can tell Paul's courses are £10/month. There is no minimum term so if you don't like it you can just cancel. You should also check out his youtube channel as he goes through a whole series on how to build a workbench. Will give you more idea on if you like his teaching style and approach. As for minimum of tools you can always sign up to his web page and have a look.

I should add that I have no connection with Paul. I just happened to stumble on his websites and liked what I saw. I should also add that I have yet to give him any money in terms of signing up for his courses!

H.

I think a tenner a month is pretty good, considering I will largely be my own teacher things like online instruction and books will be invaluable.

Gerard Scanlan":8etjmjmo said:
The Paul Sellers book is really excellent. He has made a lot of you tube instructional films and if you sign up to his blog you get loads of useful information too.
He won't waste your money on tools you do not need.
He has practical approaches that are fast and safe.
Get a few Narex chisels, a diamond stone or scary sharpening kit from Workshop heaven and second hand saw off ebay and you can start making some fantastic woodwork.
Paul sellers expalins how to keep them all razor sharp in his book.

I think the Sellers book would be a good purchase by the sound of it. I like his style of teaching so I imagine the books would be pretty good too.

Col":8etjmjmo said:
TheWizardofOdds":8etjmjmo said:

I have the later version of the book and would have said that it's suitable for anyone - the first bench he takes you through the build is actually a Roubo bench 'by hand' and even though the later builds do refer to the use of power tools (drill press, router, planer, etc ) they're really just 'time saving' uses of the machines. Building a bench certainly also guided me as to which tools to get first. I avoided the need to do lots of laminating for the top by using the largest stock I could get hold of - my top is two lengths of 9" by 3", with a removable central length of 4"x4" (2 lengths of 2"by4" laminated) which inverts as a planing stop. I also minimised the spend on vices - two old Record ones from car boots. My bench is basically a Roubo with a couple of modifications and could have been made by hand (especially if I was younger!)

Col

Very nice. I love the look of the Roubo bench, I can't imagine being able to put one together any time soon. It's something to aim towards though.

barkwindjammer":8etjmjmo said:
Some more good books here, on the basics of woodwork-and more-olde skool style :)

good-woodworking-books-for-less-money-t67921.html

This one is excellent for a beginner -: Woodworking joints - William fairham

Speeder 1987 has suggested 3 which are excellent foundation stuff

Cabinet construction - J Brough
Woodworking joints - William fairham
Woodworking tools and how to use them - William fairham

Thanks. I've spend a considerable time reading through a lot of that and whilst much of it is very old indeed it still valid and simply put. Bookmarked!

sundaytrucker":8etjmjmo said:
I have only just started to look into doing a bit of woodwork and recently picked up the Paul Sellers book Working Wood 1&2, there is some very useful information in there and his blog and YouTube channel are easily accessible and full of gold. Best of luck.

Thanks. What kind of stuff is in the books then? What kind of projects? have you tried any yet?

There are painfully few woodworking books for real beginners. One of the best is Charles Haywards' ABC of Woodwork. It is little more than a pamphlet but has superb illustrations and ideas. You will need to buy it second hand.

I loved my Workmate as a beginner. You soon learn to keep your tools sharp!

Good luck.

Nick

Nick Gibbs":1zil5uog said:
There are painfully few woodworking books for real beginners. One of the best is Charles Haywards' ABC of Woodwork. It is little more than a pamphlet but has superb illustrations and ideas. You will need to buy it second hand.

The Junior Woodworker (same author) is excellent. About the only thing that would make it inappropriate to an adult beginner are references to limited size and strength.

BugBear

Nick Gibbs":16ji9ig3 said:

I loved my Workmate as a beginner. You soon learn to keep your tools sharp!

Good luck.

Nick

You're right, many books say they're for the beginner but I think very few actually are. Although there appears many that are of use to the beginner, it's trying to find one that assumes absolutely no knowledge at all and explains it in laymans terms. I'll try to get a hold of the ABC book. Thanks.

Another tick for the Workmate. Hmmm...

bugbear":16ji9ig3 said:
Nick Gibbs":16ji9ig3 said:

The Junior Woodworker (same author) is excellent. About the only thing that would make it inappropriate to an adult beginner are references to limited size and strength.

BugBear

I had thought about the Junior Woodworker, and you can get it for only a few quid on amazon. Glad someone here knows of it and recommends it. Thanks.

I had a look about for the Sellers book and you can take a look at the Index etc on amazon and it looks like a good 'un. I think he starts with very small tasks like making a spoon and then a cutting board and so on. That definitely appeals to me, as I've mentioned I'm really in no rush to start making wardrobes out of oak yet, so starting with small projects like that I think could be a good introduction for someone like me to woodworking.

Paul Sellers provides excellent resources for beginners, and his philosophy is based on the idea of getting woodworkers making things rather than obsessing about tools. Another book worth considering for beginners is Woodworking for Kids by Richard Starr.

Nick

Nick Gibbs":35a7qh69 said:
Paul Sellers provides excellent resources for beginners, and his philosophy is based on the idea of getting woodworkers making things rather than obsessing about tools. Another book worth considering for beginners is Woodworking for Kids by Richard Starr.

Nick

I've had a good look around his website and blog etc. and I really like his attitude towards woodworking, with technique and the projects themselves the priority not as you say, obsessing about tools. He can leave the obsessing to me. :lol:

I'll check out the book thanks.

I'd like to suggest Illustrated Furniture Making by Graham Blackburn. Easily available for very little money from Amazon marketplace, ebay or Abe Books etc. It starts with very simple projects, to introduce the basic skills (sawing, planing to size) and later adds some joints etc, with enough info to show you how, but without being confusing.

(He also wrote a very good book on old hand tools, which you will want later on! - more info on his website http://www.blackburnbooks.com/ )

AndyT":282cijf0 said:
I'd like to suggest Illustrated Furniture Making by Graham Blackburn. Easily available for very little money from Amazon marketplace, ebay or Abe Books etc. It starts with very simple projects, to introduce the basic skills (sawing, planing to size) and later adds some joints etc, with enough info to show you how, but without being confusing.
(He also wrote a very good book on old hand tools, which you will want later on! - more info on his website http://www.blackburnbooks.com/ )

I like the sound of that. It's not very much at all to procure and could be a sound purchase. My library will be second to none in no time.

An earlier poster mentioned about checking the local libraries, sorry can't seem to quote from another page when I've quoted from the last? Anyway, thank you Sir, using the search that you provided showed many good books available in the region. I went to the library today and have got Stanley's book for beginners and the Collins book that seems very popular winging their way to me. It's a good way to assess if a book is right for me without having to spend a lot of money only to find the book is unsuitable.

Latest posts

Back