Woodwork book for beginners: hand tools only

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWizardofOdds

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been keen to start learning woodwork for a while now and I am looking to see if I can get recommendations for a beginners book.

I've done some searching on the site and have read suggestions about the Collins complete book and some others too. Due to funds and having small kids I've decided to go down the hand tools only route for the mean time. There are no woodwork classes near where I live so I'm going to have to learn myself from the Web and books etc. I've seen certain sites and books that are aimed at the beginner using hand tools and then I read something like ' ...now use a circular saw to cut before we begin...' So no power tools at all is the aim.

I have absolutely no knowledge of woodwork or DIY whatsoever so I'm really looking for simple stuff to begin with. I have read also about The Essential Woodworker and The Junior Woodworker books, are these more suited to people like myself? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I thought the Popular Woodworking book with the small projects was going to be a good one but it has a lot of stuff about power tools sadly. My idea is to start with the minimum of tools (no choice!) do a project, buy a few tools do another and build it up slowly and some day maybe even throw in a power tool. easy eh? :)

One good thing is that I have recently moved house and the garage is a really nice space so I envisage making my own workbench too when I've built some bird tables and egg cups first! :lol:

I imagine a minimum tool kit would be a few chisels, planes, saws, workmate bench, measuring tools etc.

I also noticed in Waterstones a book called Woodwork; a step by step photographic guide. It's a DK book and I really like their books. I can't remember if the projects in the book require power tools though? Does anyone have this book? At £25 it's not cheap but it does look good.

So, after a rambling introductory post, I'm looking for some good absolute beginner books that use hand tools exclusively, and maybe a few hints on starting in woodwork would be good too.

Thanks.

I would really reccomend a copy of Chris Schwartz's "The Anarchist's Tool Chest". It doesn't explain the use of tools but will help you build up a good comprehensive tool set, without getting drawn into the advertising hype of "tool shaped objects".

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

deserter":3ipjsxx8 said:
I would really reccomend a copy of Chris Schwartz's "The Anarchist's Tool Chest". It doesn't explain the use of tools but will help you build up a good comprehensive tool set, without getting drawn into the advertising hype of "tool shaped objects".

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

I agree with this, I've just read it and wish I'd got it earlier as I wouldn't have bought my tools in the order that I did. Also the essential woodworker is very good in telling you how to use the tools. There is also a lot of good information spread around the web especially on this forum.

Also both the above can be bought in ebook format direct from lost art press for very reasonable money! About £10 each. Or paper copy for more from one of the uk distributors.

I know you didn't ask but when you decide to buy your tools, if your looking at new I would get them from workshop heaven, or axminster, both are really good and brilliant customer service. Then of course there is the second hand option from ebay

John

Hi,

Welcome to the quiet side of woodwork.

You need to spend some time here http://video.pbs.org/program/woodwrights-shop/ to see hand tools used and what you can do with them.
Basicly anything can be made with hand tools it just takes a little longer.

A workbench is a good starting point Paul Sellers has a series of videos on making a bench with hand tools.

Pete

I highly recommend the New Traditional Woodworker by Jim Toplin. It's full of advice and all the projects are for the workshop, things like planing stops. If you're at the stage where you don't even have a bench yet, you'll soon need a lot of these and it will take a lot of your time (if you have little ones) just tooling yourself up. You can actually learn a lot of woodworking skills just making some useful jigs.

As you say, Wearing's The Essential Woodworker is also very good.

Lastly, The Complete Woodworker by Bernard Jones is an excellent old school text. The price for the book seems to have gone through the roof. I'm sure I didn't pay that much for my copy, so hunt around and there's sure to be a cheap copy somewhere.

My last comment to you is, if you are going for the no power route (as I am), be prepared to spend a lot of time and sweat just preparing your stock. A No. 7 plane may be one of your early purchases; it made a huge difference for me.

Hand Tools: their Ways and Workings by Aldren Watson is pretty good.

Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of making sawdust!

'The Essential Woodworker' is well worth investing in. It's very good on how to set up and use handplanes, which is something that, for an absolute beginner, can be quite a challenge without good references to guide you. It then goes on to describe how to make the basic cabinet forms - a stool or coffee table using mortice and tenon joints, cabinet carcasses using dovetails, drawers and drawerfitting, hinging doors and so on, all in clear simple language with lots of good diagrams and sketches.

Your other sure-fire approach is to post questions on the hand-tool section of this forum. We'll do our best to help!

One thing that might be worth saying is that building skill is a slowish process. Don't expect to be making Chippendale reproductions in six months; given a bit of time to practice (tricky with a young family) you'll get there, but not instantly!

I'd recommend going down to your local library as they will have some of the basic books for woodworking in stock, almost certainly the Collins and Popular Woodworking. If your local library subscribes to the Axell "MyLibrary" online service there is an app for it that is searchable. For example my local Surrey library service shows 73 woodworking books available in local branches.

Admittedly it's not much use to you in Scotland - but a search of the catalogue in your library area throws up 34 titles:
http://library.dumgal.gov.uk/vs/Lis...arch&StartValue=1&RowRepeat=0&MyChannelCount=

deserter":23atxd60 said:
I would really reccomend a copy of Chris Schwartz's "The Anarchist's Tool Chest". It doesn't explain the use of tools but will help you build up a good comprehensive tool set, without getting drawn into the advertising hype of "tool shaped objects".~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

That's the aim, I'll add the book to my list, thanks.

speeder1987":23atxd60 said:
...I know you didn't ask but when you decide to buy your tools, if your looking at new I would get them from workshop heaven, or axminster, both are really good and brilliant customer service. Then of course there is the second hand option from ebay. John

I've seen the axminster site, I'll check out the tools. I would prefer to buy new as I wouldn't know a good 'un from a wrong 'un with secondhand. Would you recommend any makes for a beginner?

Racers":23atxd60 said:
Hi,

Welcome to the quiet side of woodwork.

You need to spend some time here ... to see hand tools used and what you can do with them.
Basicly anything can be made with hand tools it just takes a little longer.

A workbench is a good starting point Paul Sellers has a series of videos on making a bench with hand tools.

Pete

I've had a look at both those sites, just a quick skim over and they seem to be very good. I really like the bench but wonder if it's a bit too difficult for me? I haven't looked at the videos just the blog. I'm in no hurry so I can take my time certainly. I would of course need a bench to make it though so I could maybe pick up a cheap second hand workmate.

Fromey":23atxd60 said:
I highly recommend the ... by Jim Toplin. It's full of advice and all the projects are for the workshop, things like planing stops. If you're at the stage where you don't even have a bench yet, you'll soon need a lot of these and it will take a lot of your time (if you have little ones) just tooling yourself up. You can actually learn a lot of woodworking skills just making some useful jigs.

As you say, Wearing's The Essential Woodworker is also very good.

Lastly, ...by Bernard Jones is an excellent old school text. The price for the book seems to have gone through the roof. I'm sure I didn't pay that much for my copy, so hunt around and there's sure to be a cheap copy somewhere.

My last comment to you is, if you are going for the no power route (as I am), be prepared to spend a lot of time and sweat just preparing your stock. A No. 7 plane may be one of your early purchases; it made a huge difference for me.

Noted. I understand I'll probably be best making stuff for the workshop myself, it's quite daunting!

I would really like to go hand tools only as I am in no rush to make anything and think it would be a good learning process.

What are jigs? :lol: (told you, I know nothing

marcus":23atxd60 said:
Hand Tools: their Ways and Workings by Aldren Watson is pretty good.

Noted, thanks. The list gets longer...

Paul Chapman":23atxd60 said:
"Cabinet Making - A Foundation Course" by John Bullar is very good ...
Cheers :wink:

Paul

...and longer! :D That sounds good too. Thanks.

Cheshirechappie":23atxd60 said:
Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of making sawdust!

'The Essential Woodworker' is well worth investing in. It's very good on how to set up and use handplanes, which is something that, for an absolute beginner, can be quite a challenge without good references to guide you. It then goes on to describe how to make the basic cabinet forms - a stool or coffee table using mortice and tenon joints, cabinet carcasses using dovetails, drawers and drawerfitting, hinging doors and so on, all in clear simple language with lots of good diagrams and sketches.

Your other sure-fire approach is to post questions on the hand-tool section of this forum. We'll do our best to help!

One thing that might be worth saying is that building skill is a slowish process. Don't expect to be making Chippendale reproductions in six months; given a bit of time to practice (tricky with a young family) you'll get there, but not instantly!

Yip. I really have no experience of making anything except putting together flat-pack stuff for kids. #-o I am quite patient though and am not expecting great things at all. I will start with the basics and try to do the best I can using books and of course, this forum. I won't be able to put in hours upon hours initially but I'm in it for the long run so I'll put in an hour here and there where I can.

I like the sound of the Essential book, that's exactly what I want, I think some beginner books omit the very basics like how to set up the tools etc. Thanks.

SurreyHills":23atxd60 said:
I'd recommend going down to your local library as they will have some of the basic books for woodworking in stock, almost certainly the Collins and Popular Woodworking. If your local library subscribes to the Axell "MyLibrary" online service there is an app for it that is searchable. For example my local Surrey library service shows 73 woodworking books available in local branches.

Admittedly it's not much use to you in Scotland - but a search of the catalogue in your library area throws up 34 titles: ...

Fantastic. I like the sound of that. I would like to put my money into buying tools etc. and not all into books so the library is indespensible in that respect. I use my local library a lot but nothing there, although the ones in Dumfries will as you have pointed out. I'll check it out. thanks.

I've had to delete all links, my account doesn't allow them?

Hi, TheWizardofOdds

A workmate is the worst thing to do woodwork on, I used to do all mine on one, you will be chasing it all over the place if you try and plane on it, its not strong enough for chiselling mortices on. No room to put your tools on either so you will have to use the floor, of keep knocking them off.
It will lead to lots of frustration, make a work bench and even if it turns out not to good looking you can use it to make a better one.

Pete

You have received a host of good advice from the members above , good chaps are rampant in these woods. If I could just add some of my own meager knowledge , I would advise getting some of the tools second hand from E-bay or other sources like boot sales. Moreover , get tools that actually need some attention before use. Over in our hand tool ward are some true master thesis treatments on the art of the refurb. Example , older Stanley planes may be had for small outlay and the process of restoring them gives a good familiarity with their construction as well as insight into their use. This can almost become a hobby (vocation) in itself. Beware though , it can also lead to that "slippery slope" even if it is a loverly run to the bottom! If caution is applied though, well you can put together a fairly good hand tool arsenal with the addition of pride in restoring some venerable tools to their rightful use.
From the books angle , there are many references available on the net , and searching these out leads to new sources of their own. At the top of the page is a sticky from the UKW pointing to member submitted references to keep you in reading material for a bit anyway. Just follow the magic linkies provided.
Oh yeah , and welcome to the madhouse amigo, your gonna love it.

Racers":q7gypayn said:
Hi, TheWizardofOdds

A workmate is the worst thing to do woodwork on, I used to do all mine on one, you will be chasing it all over the place if you try and plane on it, its not strong enough for chiselling mortices on. No room to put your tools on either so you will have to use the floor, of keep knocking them off.
It will lead to lots of frustration, make a work bench and even if it turns out not to good looking you can use it to make a better one.

Pete

I second that, the only way I could make the workmate remotely usable for planing and chiselling was to put three big sandbags on the bottom. Once I made my own bench the difference was amazing.

Making a work bench doesn't have to be difficult and the bench doesn't have to be particularly pretty. I made mine out of b and q softwood and an mdf top with plywood laminated to it. It does everything I need it to and it was easy for a beginner like me to do!

John

Look out for a program called 'Woodworks' on Discovery shed (these are repeated over and over),
there's one episode where Anton Fitzpatrick builds a very easy to do, and very capable workbench,

If you have a 'B&D' workbench already (every home/workshop should have one :wink: )
Try making a little project like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtdaEFsvyQg
Youtube is a fantastic source of info, as well as books, and forums like this one of course-
Oh, and get a good first aid kit and some dettol :D

Oops, just re read your OP , books is it !

Cabinet construction - J Brough
Woodworking joints - William fairham
Woodworking tools and how to use them - William fairham

From here
good-woodworking-books-for-less-money-t67921.html

Racers":osynozzp said:
Hi, TheWizardofOdds

Pete

What do I make the workbench on though? I'd rather not get a Workmate, it sounds like it's a pain.

lanemaux":osynozzp said:
You have received a host of good advice from the members above , good chaps are rampant in these woods. If I could just add some of my own meager knowledge , I would advise getting some of the tools second hand from E-bay or other sources like boot sales. Moreover , get tools that actually need some attention before use. Over in our hand tool ward are some true master thesis treatments on the art of the refurb. Example , older Stanley planes may be had for small outlay and the process of restoring them gives a good familiarity with their construction as well as insight into their use. This can almost become a hobby (vocation) in itself. Beware though , it can also lead to that "slippery slope" even if it is a loverly run to the bottom! If caution is applied though, well you can put together a fairly good hand tool arsenal with the addition of pride in restoring some venerable tools to their rightful use.
From the books angle , there are many references available on the net , and searching these out leads to new sources of their own. At the top of the page is a sticky from the UKW pointing to member submitted references to keep you in reading material for a bit anyway. Just follow the magic linkies provided.
Oh yeah , and welcome to the madhouse amigo, your gonna love it.

Thanks for the welcome.

Buying second hand would be in keeping with my need to keep the cost down. I don't know good or bad makes though, I suppose that would be where the forum and Hand Tools forum comes in to play.

speeder1987":osynozzp said:
Racers":osynozzp said:
Hi, TheWizardofOdds

Pete

I second that, the only way I could make the workmate remotely usable for planing and chiselling was to put three big sandbags on the bottom. Once I made my own bench the difference was amazing.

Making a work bench doesn't have to be difficult and the bench doesn't have to be particularly pretty. I made mine out of b and q softwood and an mdf top with plywood laminated to it. It does everything I need it to and it was easy for a beginner like me to do!

John

Which plan did you follow?

barkwindjammer":osynozzp said:
Look out for a program called 'Woodworks' on Discovery shed (these are repeated over and over),
there's one episode where Anton Fitzpatrick builds a very easy to do, and very capable workbench,

If you have a 'B&D' workbench already (every home/workshop should have one :wink: )
Youtube is a fantastic source of info, as well as books, and forums like this one of course-

Oops, just re read your OP , books is it !

Cabinet construction - J Brough
Woodworking joints - William fairham
Woodworking tools and how to use them - William fairham

From here...

I'll look for the programs on Discovery.

I was looking for book info but videos/programs are helpful too. I need the help anyway I can get it.

Thanks to everyone for the information and suggestions, this seems like a great forum, I'm looking forward to starting the process; however slow.

barkwindjammer":3q1vzj0m said:
...If you have a 'B&D' workbench already (every home/workshop should have one :wink: )

Just watched the videos. That is a very nice little table indeed, I would be proud to make that. However, even when I'm watching it I think how do you know how to make 22.5degree angles? And I don't think he mentions the measurements for that part either. I could be wrong, I suppose it would do no harm just to charge on with it, trial and error and all that. Very nice, if I can get around not having a bench I'd like to make that.

Hi, TheWizardofOdds

Workmates are useful but not as a bench, I have a old B&D and a couple of the cheap ones, great for ripping sheets of 8x4.

22.5 is half of 45 which is half of 90 you can mark it out with a compass, look up bisecting angles.

Pete

I didn't follow any plans, but a useful read would be chris schwarz's books on work benches, they are a really good read.

You can build a bench on a couple of saw horses if you like, I think Paul sellars has a video on how to do this

John

Racers":2yhymhb9 said:
Hi, TheWizardofOdds

Workmates are useful but not as a bench, I have a old B&D and a couple of the cheap ones, great for ripping sheets of 8x4.

22.5 is half of 45 which is half of 90 you can mark it out with a compass, look up bisecting angles.

Pete

That makes sense, thanks.

speeder1987":2yhymhb9 said:
I didn't follow any plans, but a useful read would be chris schwarz's books on work benches, they are a really good read.

You can build a bench on a couple of saw horses if you like, I think Paul sellars has a video on how to do this

John
[/quote]

I've seen the book for sale on the web and it looks like a good one, i think i could quite easily obsess about benches. :lol:

I think using the saw horses would be a good idea, I'll take a look at the videos. thanks.

One of the first books I would strongly recommend to any body iS. The Technique of furniture making by Ernest Joyce My edition was revused by the late great Alan Peters. This book will tell you almost everything you need to know After 30 years use mine now need replacing as its looking a little dog eared. If you want a book on the phylosophy of woodworking then. Get a copy of The Cabinetmakers note book By James Krenof He to is sadly no longer with us but between these two great masters of our field you will learn enough to keep you going for years But in my humble opinion thse two greats were possibly the best there have been Joyces is well recognised as the woodworkers bible. I hope this helps GEDWOOD

Latest posts

Back