Woodturninz.com - nobbled by Customs !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Bought some pens from Woodturningz in the States - they have a good range and are quite cheap and delivery is fast. Had 4 or 5 orders before - no problems.

This time however, very slow and I started to have a bad feeling, sure enough today I got a letter from Parcelforce - they're holding the Pens on the instructions of Customs and want £10.60 vat + £8.00 handling before they deliver.

Still a bargain (just !) 26 pen kits + 10 bottle stopper/corkscrews was going to be about £130 delivered, now they've just gone up by 50p each.

Lucky though - they've only charged me on the written value on the customs slip, not full whack and no import duties.
Caveat empor !

Chris

I bought some tee-shirts from the states, cost me £40. THEN it cost me £40 in import duty + VAT + handling charges.. So in the end I saved nothing.

Flip side I got a Power commander for the bike for $220 @ $2:£1 (vs £250 to buy in the UK) and paid nothing as it was classed as parts or safety equipment.

Yeah, I once bought a second hand laptop from the states. I was expecting to get clobbered for import duty. What I was not expecting was the seller to kindly write a much higher value on the customs declaration just in case I needed to claim in the insurance...

Back