Woodturning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Williams

Pickwick
Reaction score
Hi. Just retired and started to do a bit of woodturning. I have a charnwood w812 lathe a record bowl gouge and a 1/8 parting tool and a record 8inch whetstone sharpener. What project should I start with.

Hi. Just retired and started to do a bit of woodturning. I have a charnwood w812 lathe a record bowl gouge and a 1/8 parting tool and a record 8inch whetstone sharpener. What project should I start with.
Best advice after getting that book is to find and join a woodturning club. The knowledge and advice there is invaluable.

Fred Taylor

I'd concur that by far the best option would be to join a club, and you're lucky in that respect in that you do have an active club in Durham. Meetings take place on the third Monday of the month at 6 for 6.30 start. The Venue Community Centre, Wear Rd, Stanley DH9 6AH.

They have a mixture of 'Hands On' nights where you'll have a chance to turn under supervision and guidance, and demonstration nights with Registered Professional Woodturners. Demonstrators cover all aspects of woodturning. Health & safety, choice of timber, how to mount the wood on the lathe, which tool to use for which purpose, what speed to run the lathe at, how to sand and finish the project and so on.

Their website is here, where you'll find contact details:

Home

The Club that I'm a long term member of (East Yorkshire Woodturners) has an extensive library of books and DVDs for free loan to members. The DVDs are far more popular as woodturning is a dynamic activity and it's much easier to see it in action, just as it would be to watch a video about learning to ride a motorbike than reading a book about it.

Hope that might help.

David.

Latest posts

Back