Woodturning mag ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Blister.

I got it for about 3 years, then stopped it about 4 years ago. Started a new subscription 2 years ago, and am thinking of stopping it again. It seems so much of the same content as the years go by.

Mind you there is only so much you can write about a hobby, so I suppose there is bound to be repetition. Also you can glean so much ideas and information on the web now, who needs mags?

Allen.
I started buying it when i started turning,but only when i saw it and thought there might be something of interest in it to buy it.But now i seem to be getting it each month.
At the moment i find it intersting as it's all new to me,and am learning from it, but i suppose over time it will start to get repetative like other mags,which when it does i will have learned enough,i hope to stop buying it :shock:
Paul.J.

Had a subscription for a couple of years or so - still look forward to it arriving each month :D

Andrew

I've subscribed to this one and others... but not for the last few years, mainly cos there's not a lot of interest/new stuff for mef...

Nowadays I check out the mags in WHSmiffs and buy only if there's something I need... much cheaper than a subscription 'cos I haven't bought one in at least two years...

If you're new to the slippery slope I'd recommend a subscription 'cos it gives you a feel for what's happening in the turning world...and ususally, a few pointers :wink:

Hi Blister
Which copy did you get?. I got the December version a couple of weeks ago in October would you believe, ruddy DECEMBER copy in October how does that work out??.I do enjoy reading it although it shows me how much of a hill I have to climb :cry: .
Steve

gasmansteve":1o3lotuh said:
Hi Blister
Which copy did you get?. I got the December version a couple of weeks ago in October would you believe, ruddy DECEMBER copy in October how does that work out??.I do enjoy reading it although it shows me how much of a hill I have to climb :cry: .
Steve

It was the December issue :lol:

gasmansteve":1kpy016q said:
DECEMBER copy in October how does that work out?

As I understand it, the date on the cover is the date the magazine comes off sale, so that the shop knows when to take it off the shelves.
A bit confusing but it's always been that way and is pretty much the same for all periodicals of this type.

I have had a subscription for the last three years or so.

Not sure if I will bother to renew when the time comes though, as it has reached the point where everything is starting to look a bit familiar if you know what I mean!

Gary

I've been subscribing for the last 3 or 4 years and have thought for the last 2 years that I would cancel due to the uninspiring nature of what I see in it - I've been spoiled by what I see on the internet.
However, looking at the website you can subscribe by direct debit for £28 and this works out at £2.34 per issue. That's about the same price as a pint and I'm perfectly happy to pay that to do my small part in ensuring that the magazine stays in circulation.
Even if I only get inspiration for a couple of projects each issue (and not necessarily from the featured projects) then I see it as money well spent.

At a demo last year Tracy Owen briefly discussed the need for the magazine to change and move forward, asking for ideas and suggestions on how it could be improved. Although I haven't seen any change it does show that they are aware of the need to keep moving.

Duncan

Terry Smart":3ta7zrng said:
As I understand it, the date on the cover is the date the magazine comes off sale, so that the shop knows when to take it off the shelves..

For example the current issue of GWW (195) with Natasha Goudy on the front is marked in the bottom right hand corner "retail display until 5 December 2007" makes knowing when to make the hike back to the shops much simpler.

Cheers Mike

Back