Woodturning in Gloucestershire?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endgrain.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks :D

I wanted to start some woodturning and was wondering if there are any courses/clubs around Gloucestershire? Alternatively I will just get a lathe and try it. I did do some turning at college and miss it.
Which is a good lathe to start? I would like to do some wooden knobs, small bowls maybe? I probably will go for something 2nd hand off fleabay.

Thanks chaps nice forum :)

Welcome to the forum Endgrain, Gloucestershire is a big county, nearest town or village in your profile may prove fruitful for nearest forum member turner that may be able to help/advise.

Thanks very much Pete, will investigate those...great avatar!
I am in Stroud, I went to college at Gloscat in Cheltenham...Furniture making Btec. Mainly doing carpentry now though.

Ok. there are several turners within 6-7 miles of you on the forum, how much room/what type of workshop do you have to accommodate the lathe?

Great!

I have an average size garage, but space is precious as there is an ever increasing amount of "stuff" accumulating..

Endgrain.":fm8ve0eq said:
Great!

I have an average size garage, but space is precious as there is an ever increasing amount of "stuff" accumulating..

You'll be surprised what you can get in. I work out of a 10 x 6 shed. Mind you if you are going to be doing flat work as well then your tools needs will be greater than mine. Have a look through the workshop forum on here form ideas in space saving etc.

pete

Hi Endgrain, 5 1/2 years back I was on your doodstep. I used to live along Butterow Lane in Montserrat Cottages. If you walked that way and looked into a road level window full of wooden toys and bits then you were on my door step! Sorry to have missed you!!

Welcome to the forum :D

Chas, I have PM'd you.

Working out of a shed would be better as one dosen't have to worry so much about covering everything in sawdust :D I just would like a small set up, maybe I am getting ahead of myself thinking about turning bowls.

I look right over Butterow, opposite side of the valley. Would have liked to to see what you did ..your work looks very good.

Hi Simon

My Fathers home town Nailsworth.
That looks like a great club. I have had a look at the website but couldnt find out anything about the training course, I would be "well up for it" though. could you tell me a little more about it?

Hi Endgrain,

The GAW (Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners) have their monthly meeting this Wednesday 10th March at the Hucclecote Rugby Club in Gloucester. Visitors always welcome, cost for a visitor is something like £3.

Also if your looking to buy a mid size lathe then my neighbour (in Gloucester) has a Record CL4 for sale. It's only 13 months old so still under warranty and comes with a Nova G3 chuck and about 3 sets of jaws and also 4" and 6" faceplates plus a home made stand. I think he's asking around £780 for the lot.

Cheers, Les.

Hi chaps

Just to let you know, I finally got down to the Avon & Bristol woodturning club today. The workshop is excellent, situated in the centre of Portishead, great bunch of chaps as well.

So great result and thankyou. :D

Hi folks :)

Just thought I would update this thread. Have been attending Portishead club for 5 months now so am posting a couple pics of completed pieces on and off the lathe.
First project - dibbers! oh and my first whittled spoon.

P.S. Hi and thanks for the friendly welcome Steve.

2mhim4i.jpg

A camping box and small jewellry box ...erm radio and hobo stove :?

2qsqbn4.jpg

Have just finished two bowls...will post soon :)

Hello Endgrain and welcome :D
Good to see you are getting on with the woodwork and turning,nice start :D
Dovetails look good :shock:

Back