Woodturning Chisel Sharpening Jigs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now don't be teasing us like that and keep us hanging, I was about to start into something similar, but will be very interested in seeing what the Mk II brings, and like many things it doesnt matter what it looks like jigs are function over form every time ;)

Lexx":y4c4znda said:
Now don't be teasing us like that and keep us hanging, I was about to start into something similar, but will be very interested in seeing what the Mk II brings,
Don't hold your breath, it's not top of the 'To do' list at the moment. I'll try to post details when it's finished though.
and like many things it doesnt matter what it looks like jigs are function over form every time ;)
Yes, but working with something that doesn't look a complete dog's dinner just makes working more pleasurable. In turn, I think that helps you work better too.

Its not the top of my list either, but one of those must get around to items, have to get a new stone for my grinder and with the price of them, it will be a while yet

It doesnt look like a dogs dinner, nothing a bit of sandpaper wouldn't cure if it really bothered you ;)

Having looked at the various replies, my timidity in purchasing one of these jigs would appear justified. Yes I have watched the videos using most of these jigs you mention, yet they all neglect to include the fundamental principle rammed into my brain during my metalwork/woodwork classes, that to control the tool there must be a supporting bar close to the cutting face of the tool, minimising its distance as much as possible from the grinding face of the stone. This is so that the downward pressure at the end of the handle will prevent tip, which contributes to dig in.
Yes, with good strong pressure on the end of the handle, pivoting about a close set solid mounted tool tip, you could get away with a gourge or a chip lump flying from the stone, but if you study the arc of travel of the cutting face, with its handle end suspended in the jig pocket (the centre point of ark) the penetration is to 3/4 depth into the stone if handle remains in the fixed position, and the thought of this quick snatch (even on the bowl end tool is it called?) the pressure for cutting has to be so light, I guess to someone who has been using the jig for some time, they will know how much to apply, but for the rookie like me, well I guess I would be the first in hospital.
So, I guess after some verification of my fears I will be making a similar jig to Rhossydd when I get set up, in conjunction with a Wetstone as Procell suggested for the reasons given.
Oh, by the way, I think the video/write up said that the jig operator had cut away the guard so that full operation of the jig could be effected. As you will guess, I have been a safety rep in industry during my younger days in the Chemical Industry, a dangerous enough environment as it is to begin with. Cutting away safety gear from a machine is not a good idea as a press shop operator at Fords nearby where I live found to his dismay who cut off and removed the hand-guard plate from one of the press machines so he could turn out the body parts quicker, and distracted for just a split second got ALL his fingers chopped off as the press came down. Ignore safety and it will bite you in the buttocks.

Blucher":s47wvzwb said:
and distracted for just a split second got ALL his fingers chopped off as the press came down. Ignore safety and it will bite you in the buttocks.
No laughing matter I know but you have to ask what his fingers were doing there :)

I'm looking for my first sharpening system and the Sorby Pro Edge looks good to me too but HOW MUCH!
Massive rip off for what is basically a belt sander but the results look good and easy to achieve.
Other options I am looking at are the wolverine (or clone) and the Tru-Grind (which is currently top of my list).
I can't use my new lathe until I get some sort of sharpening system and I just can't afford one at the moment so I will have to just look at my lathe and polish it a lot!
After looking at my bench grinder I find that it runs at 4500 RPM so I will probably need a new one of those too.
How on earth do you guys afford woodturning? It seems to be a bottomless pit.

Hi Phil

Just mount a disc of MDF to your faceplate and stick some abrasive to it - grind your tools on that until you decide what system to go for.

Regards Mick

redmoorphil":2v2mh3ev said:
the Sorby Pro Edge looks good to me too but HOW MUCH!
Heart attack territory isn't it . :)
Not sure just how much of a rip of it is though.
I haven't actually seen one yet but I am guessing since it is designed to be showered with rather warm sparks it is a bit more than just an ordinary plastic belt sander. (as Jacob pointed out ) and the angle holding plate is hopefully strong enough to be usable..... Nyst go to tool post and have a look at one soon :)

Thanks for that mick - never thought about using the lathe! Duhh!
I am already changing my mind about the tru grind and I am keen on the sorby again. Damn you YouTube!
I guess that by the time I have bought a jig, grinder and decent wheel I am not too far off the sorby price anyway.
Doesn't really matter if it's overpriced, I need to think about the results and consider it an investment that will save me the cost of new chisels.
I think it's time for mr credit card to come out of the wallet.
It's on sale at yandles with free postage which makes it cheapest I can find unless anybody knows different?

Grahamshed":2r53vwco said:
Heart attack territory isn't it .

Hi

Cheer yourself up - go price up the full Tormek woodturning package :)

I am, however, glad I bit the bullet and went with Tormek :D

Regards Mick

The other benefit of the sorby is that you can get really fine belts for it ( and they are apparently quick to change ) for giving your tools that little extra polish.

Grahamshed":1vq9m6jd said:
redmoorphil":1vq9m6jd said:
the Sorby Pro Edge looks good to me too but HOW MUCH!
Heart attack territory isn't it . :)
Not sure just how much of a rip of it is though.
I haven't actually seen one yet but I am guessing since it is designed to be showered with rather warm sparks it is a bit more than just an ordinary plastic belt sander. (as Jacob pointed out ) and the angle holding plate is hopefully strong enough to be usable..... Nyst go to tool post and have a look at one soon :)
Pricey yes, but well made and convenient to use.
People assume jigs are necessary but they aren't at all. It doesn't take long to get it right and the few mistakes you make are just part of the learning curve. Things go wrong with jigs too.

Well the sorby is sitting in my basket together with the proset gauge and the long grind attachment for just under £325 delivered from poolewood. Just can't bring myself to press that Button yet though! It hinges on how long I can hide the credit card bill from the boss.

redmoorphil":2sywv6vh said:
Well the sorby is sitting in my basket together with the proset gauge and the long grind attachment for just under £325 delivered from poolewood. Just can't bring myself to press that Button yet though! It hinges on how long I can hide the credit card bill from the boss.
So it is now more than two hours later.....
Did you press it ?

Grahamshed":3kd8fsjb said:
I have been thinking about the Sorby Pro edge but the price of that against a bog standard bench grinder ( or the axe slow one ) plus this for £30 make it difficult to justify.

I used to use the axi slow wet grinder with the sorby 447 universal jig and it was to say the least not very good so bit the bullet and bought the pro edge and now sharpening my tools is a doddle

Oh what the heck! . . . And the monkey flicks the switch :wink:

At least I can get on with the rest of my life now, until the next thing I discover I need!

redmoorphil":ofp71cc8 said:
Oh what the heck! . . . And the monkey flicks the switch :wink:

At least I can get on with the rest of my life now, until the next thing I discover I need!
So what happens now ? If you suddenly go quiet do we tell the men in blue that SWMBO found out ?

Latest posts

Back