Woodrat and shop space

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsworth

Established Member
Reaction score
I brought up the woodrat in another thread, regrettably really. Sorry Mike. But it got me thinking how misunderstood the woodrat really is. People think that you have to devote tones of valuable wall space, but nothing could be further then the truth. It does not have to be permanently mounted at all. I thought i would share this section of my workshop. Excuse the mess and note that this space is a work in progress as i have time.

The first picture is cutting in long mode. The saw is on tracks that make it possible to pull it out far enough that long material can stick out the door to the left of the saw if it is longer then 12 feet.
workshop2.jpg

The second picture is if i'm cutting anything under 12 feet. It shares the fence for the drill press i'm installing now. I have yet to drill and tap the motor mount to the back of the drill press to change it from 3 phase to single phase. I also have to fix the fence to the worktop. It has some T groves in the fence that i will make some flip over stops much like the Incra stops.

workshop1.jpg

The next image is just a look at the drill press itself. A Meddings i got off e-bay in a job lot of four mounted on a table. Really good deal.

workshop3.jpg

The last image is in woodrat mode. I simply slide it in on the wall brackets that were provided.

workshop4.jpg

It is a work in progress. The miter saw can actually be removed and slid on a portable workstation that i use on job sites or if i'm set up somewhere else in the shop. The woodrat can be taken off or slid down if i need to use the miter saw at the same time as the woodrat in either direction. It can go in front of the drill press or to the left below the open shelves used for storage.

I'd love to see how others have set up their woodrats or if they have made some interesting jigs for it to get more out of it. Thanks for looking

Seriously, looking at how profligate you are with the space I can see in your shop, I wonder why you don't have it mounted permanently somewhere more useful!

yes it looks like, if you tidied up a bit (;)) you could devote an area to it. I'm actually not against the WR at all, but really don't have any wall space, even if it was temporary. Might get one eventually. Or a Router Boss. Not really looked into the differences.

basically Chris is saying that you've wasted a lot of valuable space (that most of us would die for) with just strewn everywhere.

I thought i've squeezed a lot of thing into a small space. That's why i had to ask. So having the miter saw drill press and a woodrat in a space less then 8 feet is a waste of space?

I'd like to know how i can improve that. Not that i have to but what space i do have i don't want to ummm profligate it.

woodsworth":2rwiuy97 said:
I thought i've squeezed a lot of thing into a small space. That's why i had to ask. So having the miter saw drill press and a woodrat in a space less then 8 feet is a waste of space?

I'd like to know how i can improve that. Not that i have to but what space i do have i don't want to ummm profligate it.

I don't think that the comments was about the interesting ideas for getting all that into 8' of space but the massive space which appears to be available elsewhere in the picture :)

How do you find clamping etc with the wr so log down? I always envisages having the rat around or above elbow height (I am assuming here that your not that short and would not put the Mitre Saw at elbow height etc

Miles

miles_hot":28b75s42 said:
I always envisages having the rat around or above elbow height

I'd have though it best at chest height?

The shop will soon be divided one room for table saw, thicknesser big bandsaw and the front room where this is will be for assembly and a tools that are for more fine joinery. This part will be heated while the other part will just be sheltered from the weather.

So it is important that i utilize the space efficiently. Once the wall is up I will have a possible spot to put the woodrat at a better height. It is more difficult to use at this height but it was mounted on the wall behind the miter saw before and that wall space is gone. I did have it at 48 inches height but even a little higher would be better like Wiser says.

woodsworth":2jcm7rtr said:
The shop will soon be divided one room for table saw, thicknesser big bandsaw and the front room where this is will be for assembly and a tools that are for more fine joinery. This part will be heated while the other part will just be sheltered from the weather.

Wish I could divide my shop like that.

I would like to have access from the workshop into my hallway, but the wall-space is too much to sacrifice. Now that would be profligate!

Also, SWIMBO would consider I was profligate in another sense of the word, by adulterating the hallway! (Although, I think that has something to do with the fact that I refused to give the end of my shop over to a downstairs loo! (There are other places we could have one of those.) :lol:

John :wink:

Wish I could divide my shop like that.

I see it as a cost saving measure. In some ways it would be better to keep it as one big room, but heating it would be to expensive. I eventually want to replace the block walls with studded walls with insulation but until then heating half will do the trick.

Latest posts

Back