Woodpile treasures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy_H

Established Member
Reaction score
So yesterday was spent looking through what few logs remain in our winter store, seeing if there was anything there that might be useful.
When I think of all the fantastic timber we've got through in our woodburner in the years when I was lathe-less it makes me very sad...

Best result so far was a branch of beech that had been left out in the elements for a year or more. Only about 4 inches diameter, but when trimmed and tidied up it's produced this for starters:

As it was quite friable in places I thought I'd have to resort to CA to harden some parts, but in the end it was fine without. I kept it simple to show off the amazing figuring. 11cm high, finished with plain beeswax.

Next in line are several usable pieces of cherry (some spalted slightly) which mostly look okay, a chunk of what I think is elder (white, fairly plain, indistinct grain), and a well-seasoned and intact yew log around 5" diameter. There's also a couple of potentially interesting pieces of both the cherry and elder which I'll post pictures of in a separate thread asking for advice about what to do with them!
Plenty to keep me occupied for a while anyway!

Back