Wooden Toys...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
I've started to put together a range of wooden toys. This will include 4 types.

1. Racing Car
2. Truck
3. Car
4. Bus

So far I have completed 1 & 2 as prototypes.

1. Racing Car - Made from oak, wheels and axles are beech. Glue to fix the axle into the hole was Standard PVA

20130623_151149.jpg

2. Truck - Made from Made from oak, wheels and axles are beech. Glue to fix the axle into the hole and the flatbed onto the chassis was Standard PVA

20130623_151111.jpg

My question is... do I need to get CE mark to sell these products on a craft fair stall? I have tried looking at the CE website but it's a minefield and difficult to follow.
I was hoping maybe someone on here has done a similar thing and could advise me on what to do next.

thanks

There was a thread on here a little while ago. From memory, yes you do need to if you are selling them as toys, but when you break down the requirements, it is not as bad as you think. IIRC (and do check it out for yourself) the CE mark is something that you assign yourself, and you need to take appropriate care to ensure that your product is suitable. There will be guidelines about small parts somewhere, the wood must be chemical free (ie new virgin timber). Any finishes must be child safe, which should be easy to prove- from the relevant BS on the manufacturers MSDS/technical sheet. And keep records of everything- where you buy the timber, what finishes you use etc.

So it's not something I have to pay for to get, I just basically do a risk assessment type report on the products and keep track of where I purchase materials?

i think so. let me have a search for that thread, because it consulted trading standards etc etc.

Back