Clockwork Motors / Pull back toy cars

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleymonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make some toy cars with children that use a clockwork motor to power them along (or a pull back version)

Is this practical? Light as possible wooden chassis and pine or mdf wheels.

The output axle from the clockwork seems pretty smooth

The output axle looks much smaller than pre-drilled wooden holes in most wooden wheels.

Will I need to superglue / epoxy it? [Neither of these are great around children!!]

Are there better suited motors for wooden toys, or do I need to use a different type of wheel?

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
Will be interested to find out myself. I was thinking of making a windup train for the Brio wooden train sets. Should be light enough I would think.

Is that a motor you already have or one you've seen on the internet?

Glue shouldn't be an issue around kids once it's dry.

Will be interested to find out myself. I was thinking of making a windup train for the Brio wooden train sets. Should be light enough I would think.

Is that a motor you already have or one you've seen on the internet?

Glue shouldn't be an issue around kids once it's dry.

I already have some - somewhere - and they look pretty similar. Will have to order some more though.

Dry glue is fine - it's just that I have a tight timetable. Fifteen cars (x2 driven wheels) is 30 wheels plus running repairs.

It's for a morning group - all parts and projects would have to be packed away and then got out at the end of the day to get them all glued up after the kids have gone. Might need to standardise all the wheels and no painting/personalising them until they are on!!

What about rubber bands, cheap and east to implement . Would also be easy for kids to understand how it works rather than a magic spring

Latest posts

Back