Wooden radial engine!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing mindthatwhatouch. =D>

What a fantastic job that bloke has made with A) building the engine in the 1st place, and B) explaining so clearly (and correctly). We even got a mention of sleeve valves (something which made my heart sink down to my boots - we had to learn those (Bristol Hercules & Centaurus) but am pleased to say I never worked on them) :x

Very clever bloke. I'll send the link to a couple of ex-work colleagues of mine.

Cheers
AES

I have often wondered how a radial engine worked. Are all the pistons/cylinders on the same plane (not a pun) with angled con rods?

Yes whiskywill, they are - IF we're talking about a "single row" radial (5, 7, or 9 cylinders). But to get more power they needed more cylinders so came about "double row" or even "triple row" radial engines. Here a 2nd (or 3rd) row of cylinders was placed behind the front row but offset a bit (on the base circle diameter) to improve cylinder cooling by trying to ensure that the front row of cylinders didn't blank off the cooling air to the 2nd row (radial engines are air cooled). Thus, as the bloke says you could have 18 or more cylinders, in which case all the odds in both circles (rows) would fire at once, followed by all the evens in both rows.

Despite the offsetting of the cylinder rows to improve cooling air flow, the 2nd (or 3rd) row often suffered from running hot problems.

BTW, in just about all aero engines (piston engines that is) there are 2 separate magneto systems and 2 spark plugs for each cylinder. I only ever "worked" on such engines during training but you can probably imagine what a PITA it was changing plugs on a frosty airfield first thing in the morning!

AES

More or less understand radial engines, but cannot think why anyone thought rotary (where the con Rod stayed still and the rest of the engine spun round) engines made any sense. My father flew Sopwith camels with those engines - apparently you could turn one way incredibly fast, but turning the other way was tricky!

I have to admit that rotary engines have interested me for years. I just couldn't get my head around how the fuel was introduced and how the exhaust worked if everything was spinning! After reading up on them and seeing drawings/videos of them I wondered how ever anyone could have come up with such a strange machine. Now, the radial engine makes sense as the engine is bolted to the airframe and not just the crankshaft. I would love to build something like that as I love gadgets. I did build a wooden radial engine once but it was just a balsa wood one for one of my model aeroplanes. (Definitely not in the same league as that guy though) :D

Gents, as I wasn't around then (honest!), I really don't know why rotary engines were invented. And I'm no world expert anyway. But I can have (what I hope!) is a couple of reasonably well-informed guesses:

1. Since aeroplanes began, the aeroplane designer's quest has always been "more power but less weight". In fact it still is, and it's only in relatively modern times that concerns such as low fuel burn, low emissions, and low noise became a quest as well - and those concerns don't play a big role during war time!

2. The fact that the Wright Bros got a bloke to help them design their own engine was the key to them becoming (arguably) the 1st with a successful powered, controllable heavier-than-air aeroplane. (I'm hedging my bets here in case there are any Brazilians reading this - they are convinced that the 1st truly controllable aeroplane was by Santos Dumont a few years after the Wrights). But I digress -the key to the Wrights was an engine with enough power v a low enough weight to make powered flight possible.

3. The Wright's engine was, I think, a flat four and water cooled, as were a number of other pioneer aero engines before WWI. But again "the holy grail" of more power/less weight led to the idea of more cylinders plus air cooling (obviously lighter than water or other mixtures). A "simple" way to add more power is to add more cylinders and a "tidy" way to arrange this, WITH air cooling, is to arrange the cylinders in a circle. Rotary engines came MUCH earlier than radials (look how complex that bloke's model is in the OP), and certainly during the first 2 or 3 years of WWI rotary engines predominated in just about all military aircraft. BTW, it was not the con rods that were fixed in a rotary, it was crankshaft itself that was bolted to the aeroplane, with the whole of the rest of the engine rotating around it - even the propeller was bolted directly on to the crankcase! Just as your Dad says, the torque reaction of this rotating mass meant that aeroplanes like the Sopwith Camel (and the Fokker Triplane, and many others) could "turn on a sixpence" in one direction and "lumbered around like barges" in the other direction.

4. It was only during the latter part of WWI that liquid-cooled in-line engines came more to the fore because they could produce more power within acceptable weights. Think R-R Falcon (Bristol Fighter), US Liberty (DH9), Hispano-Suiza (SE5A), and Mercedes (Fokker D7). And radials had still not yet been invented - I think the idea of radials first came from the USA, during the 1920's, and as an example, Lindbergh's Spirit of St Louis was radial-powered, and that was 1927 or '29 if my memory serves.

So in a nutshell, I GUESS (don't know) that rotary engines developed 'cos at the time it seemed to be the "simplest" way to get more power without too much extra weight.

Hope that helps/isn't too boring.

As an aside, sometime in the early '80s I went to the Model Engineer Exhibition in London and saw a working scale model of a Bentley rotary engine (Sopwith Camel) built by an Australian gent called Len (or Lew, I forget, sorry) Blackmore. He ran it at the show (yup, indoors, in the Wembley Conference Centre - MARVELLOUS!) and his engine subsequently became a highly detailed series of articles in the ME mag. Find the right back number and you'll find a picture of his engine on the cover of the issue that started the series. Just like the real thing it had no proper throttle arrangement, just a "blip switch" which turned the magneto on/off, so that the engine was either running full bore or was simply running down without power, due to the inertia of the rotating mass.

Now HE was/is an engineer!

Just as well this section is headed "Off Topic"!

Krgds
AES

Thanks AES - that's gone some way to explaining things, though still can't quite see why the rotary is "simple". But then, an silly person who suggested the con rods stayed still, rather than the crankshaft, must have problems seeing anything! (I plead "small tablet screen" and "past a senior's bedtime" in mitigation).

Even more off topic, but one of my big regrets is not trying to document all of Da's exploits in string and canvas flying machines before he died back in the 70s. There were odd photos of him piloting bigwigs round the Middle East in the 1920s, and he used to talk a bit about it, but you don't recognise the significance of these things until it's too late. Those of you with still living parents, take note!

Well I think putting the cylinders in a circle was "simple" in so far as if you wanted more cylinders, in an in-line fashion that would have made for a bigger (i.e. heavier) crankcase, plus with water jackets and radiator, even heavier. Improvements in metals and fuels and combustion did however allow more cylinders (therefore more power) for in-line engines towards the later part of WWI.

Whereas "just" hanging cylinders around a (basically) "empty" circular crankcase was lighter at the start of the war, especially as nothing other than cooling fins (like on a motor bike) were needed for cooling. From what I've seen (only in museums mind!), rotary engines were in general quite small physically - certainly smaller than in-line engines.

But dickm, I do entirely agree with you about fathers. Mine was born in 1898, was in the trenches in WWI, but was in the RAF between the wars (not as a pilot, as a mechanic), then with De Havilland, playing a small part in developing gas turbine aero engines in WWII. He is of course long gone now (I'm 70 myself), but just like you I wish I'd asked more questions and organised the keeping of photos, papers, etc, when he was around. Ah well.

Too late now of course, so you younger members please take note, don't let the chances pass by.

AES

P.S. There's a web site called "How it works" (Google it) which may well explain rotaries better than I can.

Latest posts

Back