• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Wooden Garage Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to change the old metal up and over to a set of new wooden doors similar to these:

http://www.longmangates.co.uk/farley.html

It's a panelled design as opposed to framed, ledged and braced.

Going to use softwood and ply and then glaze and paint.

Having some difficulty getting the timber sizes I want so thinking of laminating to achieve what I want.

Anyone see any problems further down the road if I do? Would almost certainly use a high quality adhesive to do this (West or similar).

Davidadew

Established Member
Reaction score
I did this sometime years ago before we moved (using different doors), gave me much more space as didn't have up and over door getting in the way. Only problem I had was that the timber expanded and contracted too much causing problems with the locks not meeting; I should have researched this more.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Bradshaw Joinery":3egc9cl6 said:
Hi Stuart,

Could i ask what timber sizes your struggling to find? and what wood it is your after?
Generally the larger sizes for the frame - 150 x 75.

Also aware that buying softwood from the likes of TP etc. can be fraught with problems so looking to try and use redwood.

Even 150 x 50 can be a problem unless I want to make curved doors!

I've got TP, Bradfords and Jewsons to chose from locally.

Bradshaw Joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
I Am sure if you asked the likes of any of them they could get the redwood you need in to do the job. I find the smaller merchants better to deal with tbh. Or maybe a joinery shop could add the timber into there next order.

Id probably go ex 100x75 Frame and door stiles/head of 110x45. mid and bottom rails of 220x30, and braces 110x30.
the tg and v boarding i assume they would stock anyway. ex 19x125 tgv.

Quite lucky here as whe have a both hardwood and softwood suppliers within 5 miles.

If your painting or staining dark id suggest sending them off to be green treated.(tanalised) once everything has been dry assembled/cut to size. Obviously if you have acces to the services nearby.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
150x75 is a standard redwood stock size so any decent timber merchant should be able to supply.

Thats quite thick for garage doors they are usually ex 63mm otherwise you have to have a steep leading edge which can give a big gap on the inside.

J

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Mmm.....

I may have been over engineering a bit!

Certainly need to have a beefy frame and if I can I will go with 100 x 75.

Would 50 x 100 be OK for the rails and stiles with 18 mm ply for the panels?

Latest posts