Woodburning Stoves & Safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
How safe are woodburning stoves in a workshop? I'm finalising the layout on my new workshop and I'll have a Morso 600mm from the end of the bench, it cpmfortably meets Morso's requirements for distance to flammable materials, but it looks dodgy to me.

Am I worrying too much, or should I forget this romantic nonsense of a woodburning stove and just get an electric powered oil filled radiator instead?

just get an electric powered oil filled radiator instead?

Yes

I have one that has 2 power settings and 5 heat levels on each setting

I leave it on low power and no 1 setting and it keeps the chill off my workshop

My workshop is 9 x 22 and fully insulated , walls and roof :wink:

What would you reckon on the cost to run one of those, espcially during the winter.

Cheers

Dave

tisdai":a4qd1mom said:

What would you reckon on the cost to run one of those, espcially during the winter.

Cheers

Dave

Never worked it out buy my bills are not horrendous

I have an open coke forge at one end of my workshop, im sure some folk may be tearing their hair out regarding the safety factor but its been like that for years and its never been an issue, provided you follow basic workshop cleanliness and a dose of commonsense.

My old dad was a Fireman on the L.M.S and he taught me how to manage a fire and damping down at the end of the day, its a good way to get rid of shavings/sawdust and when not being used for forging i'll rake out the coke and burn a few logs.

I've had a woodburning stove in my workshop now for about 5 years now. Its sits on a concrete floor against a double skin brick wall. There is no way I would swap it for any other form of heating. It is also a brilliant way of geting rid of sawdust, shavings and offcuts. I also cut up logs and season them for the stove. It would cost me probably about 2.5k a year to heat my workshop and thats better in my pocket than the robbing power companies' pockets. I am also investigating installing a wbs in the house for heating it. I reckon it would save me about £900 a year plus we could fire it up anytime we wished. It would only take about 3 years for a payback.

Mike

I have a wood burner in the machine shop and a saw dust/shavings burner in the hand workshop and they are great if properly installed and not used overnight, we are very careful to remove and store our timber and waste.
I do have an electric rad in the classroom and a frost proof heater in the store so none of our glues or polishes get to cold. I am hoping to fit PV solar this winter to make us self-sufficient.

Cheers Peter

Latest posts

Back