Workshop Fire Extinguishers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting close to finishing my new workshop. About 80 square metres split between a machine room and a bench room. Heating is via a wood burning stove in the bench room and an oil filled electric radiator in the machine room.

It's a non commercial workshop.

What fire extinguishers would people recommend?

Thanks

A nice big dry powder extinguisher as your first port of call, don't skimp on some little one. And a Co2 one. Not much point having a water one as if you need water then the fire is going to be too developed for a extinguisher. Also waters likely to ruin any machinery or wood you have about. Dry powder isn't great for machines etc but fine as long as you hoover it all up after. I think there is another couple of firefighters on this forum so hopefully they agree.

having a wood burner in my workshop and getting smoked out one day, I purchased one foam for wood and paper and one Co2 for electrical, I started looking on ebay but then on google, bought new, unfortunately my invoice hasn't got company details on them if I find any other details I'll pass them on.

Thanks for the answers, I see extinguishers in all sorts of sizes, what should I be looking at? This isn't an area where I want to skimp!

12kg is the biggest DP you can get I think. And you should be able to handle pretty much anything with that, its all the dry powder UK fire appliances carry and you can knock back a fairly well developed engine fire with just it. Co2 can be smaller as you'll find its really effective on fledgling fires which would be when you use it.

That's very useful information...and much appreciated. Hopefully I'll never need them, but if I ever do then I want the right kit to hand.

I am no firefighter but I have got a hot works certificate and that course included some facts about hand held extinguishers of all kinds and about their use.

I would personally want at least two 12 kg ABC or ABIIIE class powder extinguishers in that shop. One in each room. The ABC or ABIIIE class extinguishers can be used for electrical up to 360 volt and liquid and dust and wood fires. Older powder extinguishers did not have that capacity.
I would avoid cheap far east products and buy extinguishers made by a reputable European maker. An extinguisher maintainance man told me than many Chineese ones do not work properly even when new and are impossible to maintain. Some are even illegal to import into EU because of their uselessness but somehow they tend to seep through customs and are sometimes sold at supermarkets or by small merchants of all kinds.

Chems":3a28t5s5 said:
Just remember if you do use them, have your back to the door.

Good point. There are two exits to the workshop and I'll be placing extinguishers by the door at both of them.

Back