Wood Workers Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Page

Established Member
Reaction score
A newsletter arrived today from Woodworkers Workshop and as usual I ask myself who are these people who can afford such highly priced equipment?
I certainly cannot and even if I could I'm not really interested in equipment which appears to be as far removed from my idea of woodwork as my aunt fanny.
Fred.

Fred Page":ss4lxbw3 said:
A newsletter arrived today from Woodworkers Workshop and as usual I ask myself who are these people who can afford such highly priced equipment?
I certainly cannot and even if I could I'm not really interested in equipment which appears to be as far removed from my idea of woodwork as my aunt fanny.
Fred.
Might be worth asking to be removed from their list.

They do sell fairly normal stuff though. Hand planes, saws, chisels etc.

I think expensive woodworking gear has two main markets.

Those that need it because they have a business justification.

Retirees with cash

Fred Page":20prb748 said:
Peter Sefton, judging from how often he appears in their banner adverts? :p

Kidding Pete!!

I see a lot of Wood River stuff, which I associate with Rob Cosman™ and his Top Ten Tools for Starters, the full set of which only costs $2,400.
I can't think of any other business professional who'd spend £20 on a Plane Screwdriver, which is the same shape and size as any other screwdriver, only with the word Plane on its packaging.

Tasky":121d3ad6 said:
Fred Page":121d3ad6 said:
Peter Sefton, judging from how often he appears in their banner adverts? :p

Kidding Pete!!

I see a lot of Wood River stuff, which I associate with Rob Cosman[TRADE MARK SIGN] and his Top Ten Tools for Starters, the full set of which only costs $2,400.
I can't think of any other business professional who'd spend £20 on a Plane Screwdriver, which is the same shape and size as any other screwdriver, only with the word Plane on its packaging.
I think the shape is a bit different, but point taken.

There is a lot of woodworking stuff that is overpriced, just compare one of those sanding grip mats to exactly the same thing you can pick up in somewhere like cheap pound shop.

The wedding industry is a good comparison.

A combination of economy of scale and a captive market.

The Woodriver/QS stuff is good value though.

There is a lot USA market stuff here that can only be bought from WW so it is fair play really.

Axminster can be just as bad. The price of the UKJ stuff is really eye watering. Good quality, but it still is OTT for what it is. That tiny router table (mostly made from wood) that sells for something like £300 was nuts. I seem to remember some forum member splashing out on it in weak moment over a bottle of wine. Needless to say it appeared on the 'For Sale' section within a couple of weeks for a steep discount....

Bodgers":2wiww0zk said:
Axminster can be just as bad. The price of the UKJ stuff is really eye watering. Good quality, but it still is OTT for what it is. That tiny router table (mostly made from wood) that sells for something like £300 was nuts. I seem to remember some forum member splashing out on it in weak moment over a bottle of wine. Needless to say it appeared on the 'For Sale' section within a couple of weeks for a steep discount....
*waves* That was me :oops: Lovely piece of kit, but too small for the price of it.

Oh, I have a bottle of wine for tonight and it's Black Friday. I must remember to switch off the broadband before touching the corkscrew and save myself a few bob into the bargain :lol:

Latest posts

Back