Wood turning members/clubs in Newcastle area

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, new to turning but have invested in a record CL0 with variable speed control. I'm having good fun practicing different cuts, but have had some issues with end grain tear out. I've read up a lot regarding this - soaking in different liquids, sharp tools etc, but would appreciate watching someone experienced turn so I get an idea of correct technique.

Is there anyone around the Newcastle area who is available?
Cheers,
Adam

Whereabouts are you in Newcastle? I could probably come round and see what you're doing right/wrong. Or come to mine, although my shed is tiny. I'm in High Heaton

Northumbrian Woodturners meet in Blyth on the 2nd Friday of every month. They also have a larger demo every other month on the second Saturday. The next meeting is on 13th March with Walter Hall making pens. 10th/11th April should be worth attending as well as Martin Pidgen will be selling timber at his usual excellent prices.

There's also a club in Blyth with mostly the same members.
And one in Sunderland I think but I gave up going.

Duncan

Just to correct you on the Sunderland club. It has sadly packed up. But I agree with you about Northumbria woodturners, they are a right friendly bunch and will help anyone who asks. They also do a beginners tutorial session.

All the best

Drew

Whereabouts are you in Newcastle? I could probably come round and see what you're doing right/wrong. Or come to mine, although my shed is tiny. I'm in High Heaton

Northumbrian Woodturners meet in Blyth on the 2nd Friday of every month. They also have a larger demo every other month on the second Saturday. The next meeting is on 13th March with Walter Hall making pens. 10th/11th April should be worth attending as well as Martin Pidgen will be selling timber at his usual excellent prices.

Duncan

Duncan

hi Duncan. i realise your post is a while ago but i was wondering if you are still available for me to come for a chat.. i am brand new to woodturning and any help would be appreciated . i am going to join Northumbrian turners soon..thanks gus

This might be useful to others with the same question.

AWGB (Associationj of Woodturners of Great Britan) at www.awgb.co.uk has a list of clubs, not intuitive to find its under "Resources". Not all clubs are affiliated to AWGB so its not exhaustive, but a good start.

There are some excellent videos which non members can access, under "Read" you will see sub headings for video gallery and for AWGB educational videos. Both have some good stuff, and being AWGB there is no madness of the sort you sometimes see online.

Latest posts

Back