wood storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I presently work from and store wood in a garden shed but as space is getting tight and I have a number of boards which I won't be using for some time I'm considering storing them in my attic, is this a good idea? The floor of the attic is insulated but not the roof. Any advice much appreciated , cheers.

so long as they're not getting rained on or subject to unwanted attentions from unwelcome visitors I don't see why that wouldn't work as an interm measure...

for stabilities sake however, I'd still want to take them into your workshop at least 6 weeks ahead of you wanting to work with them... should give the boards ample time to acclimitise to your shop temp / humidity levels...

wouldn't fancy the job of lugging them up there tho.. ;)

I tend to keep all my boards up in the loft and have never had any problems. You'll be supprised at how warm your loft can get, add to this the good air flow and I would have thought it would be a good place to keep your timber.
Most of my boards have a moisture content of about 8-9% which is about what they would be in the house. Having said that if I'm going to be using any of them for furniture I tend to bring them down and let them settle for about a week.

SimonA

Should be ok - just check on load ratings: the weight can stack up surprisingly quickly, and the last thing you want is to use all the wood repairing the hole it made coming down into your bedroom...

Latest posts

Back