wood silk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nadnerb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
There was a recent thread here about a product called "wood silk" polish. I tried everywhere to get it and failed and as a last resort went to amazon.
There it was at £4.50 a can plus p+p so I thought sod it! Living in Ireland means the postage would be huge. I was mooching around the shops today and in a pound shop found the elusive wood silk at only €1.69 (£1.20 ish) per can!!!!! I bought an armful based on the recommendation I had read on this forum, and could not believe the results when used on bare wood. It works really well on oak, ash and red oak but on Piranha pine it excelled. (If I could upload pics I would )
I know this should probably be in the finishing section but I was wondering, how do others finish their scroll saw work. I tried wax before but found it impossible to get into all the small spaces from scrolling.
Any Ideas?
Regards
Brendan
P.S Many thanks to who ever mentioned wood silk before, I can't find the original thread or I would thank you in person

Hi Brendan. It was me that started the thread on the wood silk and I was the same as you and found it amazing. It's even better if you apply a second coat after a couple of hours. For me it's a very quick way to achieve an acceptable finish on those rush items.

In the main I use wax polish but first I dip the finished pieces in teak oil, this really does highlight the wonderful grain patterns in the wood. I leave the dipped pieces overnight before applying the wax polish. As you will know it is difficult to get into a lot of those cut outs and when a piece has been polished the little bits that have not been polished can stand out and look unfinished. To over come this problem I use a stiffish paint brush, about 5mm across, I work the wax into these little areas but obviously can't polish them but it's better to leave these small bits as they will blend in with the finished piece and no one will notice. I use a drill brush for the polishing and it's surprising how small a gap you can get into.

Talking about Wilkinsons--- yesterday my Wife tried to get a 250 ml tin of quick dry varnish for me @ £3 ended up with a 500 ml costing £7-75.
Not a happy bunny

I was really Peed Off as they advertise the £3 one on the internet--- so sent a really heavy E-Mail to their customer services.

In a nutshell if you see anything on their web pages you can order it and it will be delivered to store in 48hrs

John

Back